Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Anyone have experience of using a light box- to help with SAD?

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
emloja

Anyone have experience of using a light box- to help with SAD?

Postby emloja » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:35 am

Hi
So i am still on a high level of Medication which is working well for anxiety and dep. I noticed that i seem to have really bad off days (more than a normal and day) and i have just realised that these are always on really grey days. I bought a light box last autumn and tried to use it- but didn't stick to any specific routine.
I am already thinking about Autumn whilst trying not to catastrophize or be a fortune teller! However i am a bit anxious and plan to visit the doctor to discuss my medication (I want to reduce as i am always a bit scared being on the highest dose-i am concerned about reducing in the autumn as it gets cold and dark and is not my best time). Anything i can do to make this time easier would be great. So i was wondering if anyone has SAD how they best cope when the weather changes? If you have used a light box- how have you used this? Any other strategies etc?
Thanks in advance, Emma

andthistoomustpass

Re: Anyone have experience of using a light box- to help with SAD?

Postby andthistoomustpass » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:02 pm

Hi

I don't have SAD but, like you, I bought a light box last Autumn and, like you, I didn't use it properly :lol:

I did find that having the box on in the morning while getting ready for work gave me a boost all the same and I want to try that every day this winter.

cookiemonster

Postby cookiemonster » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:01 pm

As far as I am aware they work well if used regularly

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:02 am

Hi.

I tried one once but probably gave up on it too soon to know

I have read that they work for some and not for others

Deb x

msg80

Postby msg80 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:03 pm

I get affected by sad and bought a light box. If you are someone who gets very little daylight during day it does help give you a boost. Exercise is most effective though the NHS now recommends everyone takes VITAMIN d3 from Oct to march as we are all deficient. It boosts immune system and makes you feel brighter. I've started in August this year and will take all way through. Get high strength 800+. It is known as the sunshine vitsmin: )

emloja

Postby emloja » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:27 am

Thanks- that is helpful- i will def look into vitamin D- every little helps!

Return to “Mutual Support Group”