Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

First antidepressant prescription

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
scottishlad32

First antidepressant prescription

Postby scottishlad32 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:38 am

Hi,

Today I finally took the step and consulted with my doctor about my emotions and mental health. I was prescribed fluoxetine. 20mg daily for 4 weeks with the view to seeing him again in 3-4 weeks.

I would like to hear from some who have had this medication and can advise what I can expect in the coming weeks.

Thanks x

sunchyme

Re: First antidepressant prescription

Postby sunchyme » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:27 am

Hi,
I took fluoxetine a few years ago, I didn't have many side effects at all, just feeling a bit nauseous to start with. Everyone is different though.
Good luck, and well done for talking to your doctor :)

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:34 am

Hi scottishlad32,

I'm glad you've gone to your doctor - you've done the right thing, and it's the first step towards recovery!

I took fluoxetine, and I don't think I had any side effects to my knowledgex

Much love <3
RSxo <3

scottishlad32

Postby scottishlad32 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:10 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I have been referred to a neurologist by my doctor. I explained my thoughts and told him I believe I have undiagnosed ADHD. He only seemed to be looking for a reason to prescribe me the fluoxetine.

It's good to know you haven't experienced many side effects.

After the first 2 weeks as this is what I've been told it takes for the drugs to take effect, how did you notice the drug effecting your mood/depression?

Thanks

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:23 am

Hi scottoshlad

Although I haven't taken fluoxetine SSRIs (of which this is one) affect the mood in the same way. I would say from talking to people it can either gradually improve mood. or for some it can be noticed straight and the person knows the drug is working.

Reaction time can be anything from 2 weeks to 4. .For me it was about 3 and a half weeks. It depends on how long it takes the body to metabolise the drug.

This is my experience. Perhaps others will post with their experience. and it will be different.

Best wishes
Deb x

scottishlad32

Postby scottishlad32 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:37 pm

Thanks for the response,

Looking for a little bit of advice here, I've read that in the first week or 2 while the body gets used to the medication having depressive episodes are common, now I'm already a bit all over the place but to add to that my grandmother who I am her full time carer suddenly died on Saturday nite, now to add this to the many external issues I'm trying to cope with would it be wise continuing with the medication and going further into depression is something I don't believe I could get through.

Hope you can help xx

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi scottishlad

I think that perhaps you should talk to your gp for advice.

I'm sorry your grandmother has died. That must be so hard for you, especially as you're her carer

Take care
Deb x

Return to “Mutual Support Group”