Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Benzo's / Short term medication

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
vitasw

Benzo's / Short term medication

Postby vitasw » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:55 am

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences of using benzodiazepams (e.g. diazepam/Xanax/alprazolam/lorazapam) for treating anxiety.

It probably sounds weird but I'm going on holiday soon - which should be fun/relaxing - but traveling can bring up a lot of triggers for me and I am worried about getting overwhelmed and not being able to use my coping strategies because I'm away from home.

It took a long time for me to come off the SSRI I was taking so I don't want really want to go back to that right now.

I know doctors in the U.K can be very hesitant to prescribe benzo's and normally only for a short time (which would be fine for me), but I have a doctors appointment soon and I would really appreciate hearing other people's experiences first.

Thanks,

V

PureFrustr8d

Re: Benzo's / Short term medication

Postby PureFrustr8d » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi vitasw,

That's cool you're getting a wee holiday :D

I've tried anxiolytics (valium, xanax, temazepam) and beta-blockers for anxiety.

The anxiolytics left me a bit spaced out but that could have been because I wasn't eating correctly and the dosage (years ago). I recall the dr advising me to take them before bed to avoid the odd feeling I felt after taking them in the morning and heading out. It did make a difference. I recommend a low dose if you prefer to take them as and when required. I now have a prescription for diazepam 5mg (valium) but try not to take them. Even 2mg can be effective for mild anxiety.

I found the beta-blockers amazing at reducing the physical symptoms.

Peace

Return to “Mutual Support Group”