Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Being treated like a child

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
yshola75

Being treated like a child

Postby yshola75 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:07 am

Hello I feel very angry about not being listened to and being treated like a child like the government putting certain things up to a higher age than 18 and I just wish there was a way for me to make everything at age 18 as it is the age that we become adults because we can do many things like buy alcohol and other things, vote, no longer having parental permission to sign forms or contracts, be able to hold a tenancy to move out and no longer be under control of one's parents or guardians. I just wish there was a way I can change some laws, make the government listen and do something about this country and stop treating adults as children and also for everyone to finally listen and understand what I say to them as I really hate being in a trapped situation and very powerless to do or say something when I should have more power to tell people how I feel and how I what things to change for me in a positive way.

vitasw

Re: Being treated like a child

Postby vitasw » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:40 am

Hi yshola75,

What's made you feel this way?

I'm sorry you haven't had a quicker response, sometimes the forum gets quiet when people are struggling, but there are people here to listen if you want to talk.

All the best,

V

yshola75

Postby yshola75 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:09 pm

Oh ok thank you and what it is that I really hate people saying things about me wanting to have some freedom and to be more of an independent adult, do what I like to do like any other adult and also not everything being from age 18 when they should as a 18 is the age we finally become adults and people also keep telling me what to do when I really hate it. I just really want people to understand my anger and not say things that upset me and also treat me as an adult without being told what to do either. :cry:

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:50 am

Hi yshola75,

Sorry to hear how you feel. It seems like you're feeling quite hurt, and so you feel very angry.

I think it's important to realise that turning 18 is just a number. Yes, under the eye of the law, we are considered adults, but that's the only place where this is the case. We are still growing, and all at different stages of development. Turning 18 doesn't magically make us adults, it is a transition! Is there something in particular that you'd like to do but can't because of the age restriction?

The other thing I noticed is that you've said that you should have more power to tell people how you feel, and how you want things to change for you in a positive way. What would you do/change?

Much love <3
RSxo <3

yshola75

Postby yshola75 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:08 am

Ok thank you rsxo and I already knew that turning 18 does not automatically make us adults just like that like with myself when I turned 18 two years ago it did not make me feel any or much different. I would like for some laws to change for the better like for housing to apply to everyone as we all need somewhere to live as unfortunately the housing situations have gone downhill now, for people aged 18-25 to be treated as full adults as I feel that everything like that needs to be sorted like for them to move on to more adult services, be able to rent or buy any car and have freedom to do what they want and have more rights and responsibilities. Also I really want society to change for the better like for people to agree with almost everything that I say when there are certain things that people should definitely agree with me on, for people to not think or say things about what choices or decisions I make or for me to find someone to help me not care about what other people think or say as I am now an adult who is old enough to make choices, because it is affecting me quite a lot now and it does not make me feel happy or confident in myself and also for people to understand my emotions when I get angry, sad or unhappy as I hate it sometimes when people are horrible to me and when they tell me what to do about almost everything that I do now and it really makes me more angry and anxious about this world.

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:47 am

Hi yshola75,

That's interesting. From what you're saying, I'm getting a really strong feeling that you don't feel listened to - you feel ignored and dismissed, and I'm sorry to hear that. It's understandable that you'd feel angry because of thisx

Much love <3
RSxo <3

Return to “Mutual Support Group”