Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Foreboding

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
christabel

Foreboding

Postby christabel » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:49 pm

The first few months of this year have been a trial. We finally got to say farewell to my sister after a long wait for funeral. She helped many people in her lifetime and will be sadly missed.
My physical health is giving me a lot of problems A T M and the medications are playing havoc with my system. Thing is I have no real choice but to take them.

Since the start of the year I have had this feeling that this is just the start of a year where I am going to lose relations. My siblings are older than me except the one I have just lost.
I don't want to appear morbid so it is a difficult thing to discuss with anyone. Being of a perceptive nature is worrying.

I keep looking in to see how everyone doing even if I could not participate much. Take care. X Chris

Isap

Re: Foreboding

Postby Isap » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:57 am

Hi Chris

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling this way and condolences for the loss of your sister. I lost my younger sister to leukemia soon after getting arrested in 2014. I know how you must be feeling.

I'm reading a good book called Feeling Good by David Burns about using cognitive restructuring to help with depression and anxiety. Your thinking would be described as Jumping To Conclusions : Fortune Teller Error. You can't foretellbthe future so don't try. Obviously it's a product of your anxious thinking. My own mother has already outlived her own parents and has not inherited any of the conditions that killed them.

You are overgeneralizing by taking one negative event and fitting it into a hypothetical pattern.

Hopefully this helps a little.

Take care

Isap xx

vitasw

Postby vitasw » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:52 am

Hi Chris,

I'm very sorry for your loss. Grief has a way of making us see death everywhere and feeling like loss is inevitable. Particularly if you are already a perceptive person as you say, it's easy to see everything through that lens. Death is also something that can be very taboo to talk about which makes it difficult to share your feelings.

In treating my own anxiety I learned that sometimes we imagine the worse as a way to try and protect ourselves if it does happen - sort of like if we imagine it and how it would feel then we will be prepared for it. Clearly this type of thinking doesn't do any good and actually perpetuates anxiety. I don't know you but I say this just in case you find it relevant to your own situation.

Wishing you all the best,

V

christabel

Postby christabel » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:03 pm

Thank you so much for you replies. I will definitely look up the book Isap.
I think this negative way of thinking has started through losing friends and relatives suddenly and very quickly. I agree vitasw that I am trying to put a shield up to lessen the impact.

Having physical illness has made me a bit immobile at the minute which probably is not helping.
Your replies have given me food for thought. It is obviously it not doing me or anybody else any good so I'm worrying for nothing. It won't change things.

Hope things are as good as they can be. Take care. Chris

Isap

Postby Isap » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:47 am

Hi Chris

Thanks for replying.

I also meant to add that having physical illness on top of mental illness is the pits. Difficult to imagine anything worse really and how can it not impact on your way of thinking.

Hope things improve in the near future

Isap xx

PureFrustr8d

Postby PureFrustr8d » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:55 pm

Hi Chris,

Please accept my condolences for the loss of your sister. That's a nice thing you wrote about her <3

I hope you manage to get some relief from your aches and pains during the day.

Sometimes I imagine losing people too, I think it's my minds way of preparing me should it actually happen. If I become upset I'll remind myself that it's just in my mind ...it's not actually happened.

I find reading really helps escape my mind. If it's a good book, I'll lose hours.

I use to knit and I'm getting back into it to keep myself occupied (just another suggestion).

Best wishes,
Peace

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:07 pm

Hi Chris

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your sister.

Anxiety will always go for your weakest spot. My sister in law worries about dying and leaving her son without a mum. She suffered terrible anxiety for many months convinced that her acid reflux would burn a hole in her stomach and kill her. I have a terrible fear of becoming seriously mentally ill as my experience of this was horrendous. In your case you have a fear of losing loved ones. With all three of us anxiety is doing it's job. Part of that is telling us we can read the future.

Take care
Deb x

christabel

Postby christabel » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:50 pm

Thank you all for the replies.

Your kind words and support is appreciated.

Please excuse the late response but I did type out replies but it was lost when I tried to submit it on Monday.

Bit tired tonight. Take care x Chris

christabel

Postby christabel » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:22 pm

Hi

Started book. Feeling good. By David Burns. Today.

Thanks for the recommendation.

X Chris

timmy5270

Postby timmy5270 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:49 pm

Hello how is everyone doing I’m sorry to hear about everything you guys are going through I to suffer from severe health anxiety it’s horrible, I have really bad back pain every day and it worries me that I have back cancer, I get headaches a lot and it worries me that it’s a brain hemorrhage when I lift thangs up at work I’m afraid of getting a brain aneurysm, if I bump my leg or arm on something I fear that I’m gonna get a blood clot and die I constantly feel like I can’t catch my breath I always feel like it’s hard to breat and it worries me that I have lung cancer or a blood clot in my lungs I hate feeling like this I go the the emergency room a lot for my symptoms they do x rays ct scans and blood test everything comes back normal but I’m always worried they missed something I’m constantly thanking of dying I always feel bloated which makes it hard to breath as well does any one else feel like this please let me know I’m not alone

Return to “Mutual Support Group”