Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

How are things progressing Isap

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
Isap

Re: How are things progressing Isap

Postby Isap » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:03 am

Hello Caro

Yes, very helpful reply. Especially regarding the sensory symptoms. The cellmate is in denial.

So are my two younger twin brothers. Definitely Asperger's. It's not only obvious to me, but my sister's doctor friend diagnosed them as such when she came round to the house a few years back. Autism is her specialty. One brother is working and has done well, the other has awful social anxiety and has never worked but refuses help. It's sad to see such a wasted life, they are both 46 now.

Take care

Chris xx

caro

Postby caro » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:30 pm

Hello Chris

I was interested to read about your brothers. It proves how autism affects people differently. One twin has thrived, the other has not.

I too have a brother in his 40's. Undiagnosed but still lives at home as a recluse. As you say, a wasted life.
My autism has definitely held me back socially and academicly, but i am married with children. My husband knew from the beginning that i was different, but we didn't have a name for it back then.

I have had a lot of pain this last week. The metal work from my operation is due to be removed in 11 days. I have had 2 lots of antibiotics, but i don't think things will improve until everything is removed.

I hope you are as well as you can be xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:49 am

Hello Caro

Thanks for your prompt reply. Am very sorry to hear you are in pain but at least you know things will improve in a few days.

Your husband is a saint. It's scandalous he doesn't get holiday pay or sickness benefit ( another cost saving trick borrowed from the USA). To stick with you for better or for worse. My wife is the same, a wonderful person.

I see autism everywhere in the jail now that my understanding is so much better. Some are really full-on low functioning and obvious, others not so easy to spot. It makes sense that people with such an affliction and undiagnosed turn to drugs. I wish I could do more to help but am held back by my own struggles.

Take care

Chris xx

deb1961

Postby deb1961 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:42 pm

Hi Chris

Well! The problems I have had in getting on here, hence my user name has changed slightly.

I went onto a new search engine and for some reason various accounts ceased to work. I tried this and that but eventually had to re join. That explains my silence.

I find your conversation on autism interesing. I know a number of young men with asbergers but strangely no women. Two of the men are exceptionally clever but both dropped out of school in their early teens due to bullying.

I didn't realise that two of your brothers had autism/asbergers.

Hopefully I won't have further problems with access to the site.

God bless
Debs xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:00 am

Hello Debs and Caro

I have been reading up on autism. In the USA, 1 in 42 boys are diagnosed with autism. In girls it's 1 in 169. You just wonder how many people are walking about with undiagnosed autism. Asperger's in women is different to Asberger's in men. Men tend to lack empathy while women have too much and become scared to offend people, as Caro pointed out.

I see a few female rather than male autistic traits in my own behaviour. Having too much empathy to my own detriⁿment. Able to concentrate on a task for a long time. Getting fixated on certain activities. Feeling different and "left out" in groups. On the other hand, I have always hated conforming and don't know how much of this is intentional. Groups bore me. One on one I have control of the conversation. I have never seen this as a problem. In jail I hardly speak to anyone, mainly because there is nothing to speak about.

It's an interesting subject though. Since autism is a spectrum and not yes or no question, I expect everyone displays something sometimes which is true of autism. Scientific and IT people are mostly men, well known autistic fields.

25% of autistic people are also bipolar, for example my cellmate. It makes him extremely irritated and irritating to others. He refuses to believe there is anything wrong with him.

Chris xx

deb1961

Postby deb1961 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:44 am

Hi Isap

How are you?

Over here we are getting climate change weather. It's very hot in Scotland so the SE of England must be horrible. We all know the damage global warming will cause but a lot of people don't know that damage is already occuring. Although it troubles me for much of the time I see it as the inevitable greed and arrogance of man. The arrogance is such that he can succeed where king Canute failed, and turn back the tide.

I don't know if I said that I have been referred to psychiatric services. If the two nurses think it's appropriate I will be referred to a psychiatrist. All of this will take some time. I believe though that I need an expert to consider my meds.

caro

Postby caro » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:07 pm

Hi Chris

I hope you are coping .

I was interested in your post re autism and bipolar. I hadn't realised it was so high.
I think an autistic person without a mental health condition is rare ,given the struggles with every day life, and trying to fit in.

Thinking of you. Xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:26 am

Hello Debs

Yes you already mentioned you were seeing the nurses in a previous post. That's an excellent step forward.

God bless

Chris xx

Hello Caro

Autism is far more common than people think. There must be millions of undiagnosed people walking about. I bet the true figure is more like 1 in 10-20 men and 1 in 50-100 women. Since it's a spectrum, the sky's the limit. A lot of people are in denial. They make all sorts of excuses for themselves and blame others for their problems.

Hope you and your family are well.

Chris xx

deb1961

Postby deb1961 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:00 am

Hi Chris

How are things with you? When do you next see a psychiatrist?

I have an appointment for the psychiatrist at the end of August. That is exceedingly quick for the NHS. - six weeks since being referred.

I don't have any sign of autism. However they are now realising there are other types of bi polar. I am a very upbeat person when I'm well and love being the centre of attention. I told my sister recently of something that I did last Summer, for fun. Everybody looked away embarrassed. My sister said the behavior was not normal and I can see she's right. She thinks it's something I should mention. Bi polar 2 as it's called shows itself as over the top but hypo manic. I don't know whether to tell the psychiatrist or not.

The correct diagnosis can take many years.

God bless

Debs xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:51 am

Hello Debs

Thanks for asking after me.

My cellmate is bipolar and shows all the classic symptoms.

I guess you could tell the psychiatrist but it won't make much difference to your medications since you're already on a mood stabilizer.

I next see a psychiatrist on September 4th but they are all totally useless apart from one who I usually can't see. We get assigned a new one every 4 months which is stupid.

God bless

Chris xx

Return to “Mutual Support Group”