Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

How are things progressing Isap

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
caro

Re: How are things progressing Isap

Postby caro » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:51 pm

Hello Chris

I think you have given Debs some good advise there.

In England you have to be in secondary mental health care to see a psychiatrist regularly.

I think GPs can request a medication appointment, but from what i have heard, most are done by contacting the GP, and the patient not actually seeing the psychiatrist.
Getting accepted for secondary mental health care is very difficult, and usually only available for the long term diagnosis like bipolar etc.

A private appointment sounds like the best option, and would not include a long wait.

How are you Chris? Is your medication supply ok now ?

Thinking of you xx

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:07 pm

Hi Chris

Unfortunately private psychiatrists seem to be nearer the 500 mark. One group i enquired about didn't have adult psychiatry in Glasgow. Leeds being the nearest place. The Priory and the Edinburgh clinic are so dear. And both hard to access by public transport.

If I only needed a couple of appts that would be ok but it would be considerably more. I don't think my brother knew the cost and neither did I.

What Caro says re psychiatric services in England is, I think, pretty much true here.

I will ask the dr to ask about meds.

Seeing a private psychiatrist isn't totally out of the question.

God bless
Debs xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:38 am

Hello Debs and Caro

£500 is daylight robbery! I never knew how much MH services had declined in the UK since I last used in 2001. Most countries don't have GPs and you go straight to the psychiatrist. I don't know how well off your brother is but there is no guarantee a psychiatrist's recommendations would be different from a GP. As you suggested before, could a GP write to a psych for advice? The shortage will be because they are all in private practice. As you probably gathered, I hate the UK and have done so since my teens.

Regarding my wife's packages of medications, only the one before last was really late. I am receiving 150mg of venlafaxine but surviving on 112.5mg. I am also just about to come off clonazepam. It is illegal to send benzos here which is why I was always paranoid every month about a package not arriving. Reducing has been very easy, touch wood. The trick is to do it really slowly. When you know for sure that a medication is not working, you risk nothing

I don't know if I ever said that I spend most of the day playing online bridge. A Turkish guy added me to his team which puts unnecessary pressure on me but so far I haven't done too badly. I intend to let one of the team members, an Italian lady, know my situation so that if phone is confiscated and I disappear offline, they can find someone else.

God bless

Chris xx

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:47 am

Hi Chris

Why are you taking less venlafaxine than you're meant to? I've forgotten the name of the drug you took 3 times a week and gave you some peace. Are you still taking that?

I have a phone appt with the gp on Monday. I intend to ask her to refer me to psychiatric services. I will get seen after 8 to 10 weeks. I Will see 2 psychiatric nurses who will assess me and take their report to meeting. A decision will be made re me seeing a psy... If I do i will have to wait for up to 3 months for the appt. At my assessment I will have to avoid telling them that I help in a charity shop or that I can make myself beans on toast for instance. It makes me think of a benefit assessment where if you tell the truth they decide you can look for a job.

I could let the gp write to the psy... but if things don't work out then it's another letter and maybe more if I look on the dark side.

I am having a few better days, thank goodness.

God bless
Debs xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:41 am

Hello Debs

Glad you are having better days. You deserve them.

I guess you decided £500 is too much. I wouldn't want to pay that even if I was rich.

When I was running out of venlafaxine I had to reduce to 75mg. It didn't seem to make much difference to when I was on double. By taking 112.5 I'm also building up a stock in case another package is late or goes missing. Increasing an AD doesn't necessarily help.

I only take Tramadol once a week now. My brain can no longer tolerate it. Migraine and nausea.

Hope your assessment goes well. Nobody should have to wait that long.

God bless

Chris xx

caroline400

Postby caroline400 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:22 am

My sister has recently moved, and has been told that she will have to wait until September to be referred to psychiatric services in her new county. I myself haven't been referred to psychiatric services for a long time now, but from what I remember, once you are actually seen & assessed by someone, once you are 'in the system', you then get dealt with pretty promptly?

caro

Postby caro » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:58 pm

Just saying hello Chris.
How are you doing ? Xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:29 am

Hello Caro

Thanks for asking. I hope you are as well as can be following your painful operation.

I thought I had come off clonazepam successfully. 4 days after stopping completely, I started getting mild symptoms of psychosis, hearing sounds in my head that didn't exist. From previous experience of going cold turkey on Xanax, I guessed this was a psychological withdrawal symptom. I went back on a low dose two days ago, am sleeping much better and the sounds almost gone. That was scary. I think it's another lesson learned - coming off benzos you've been taking for a long time must be done really slowly, over months not weeks.

I also got a court order to see a dentist for first time in years. There was no x-ray machine so the dentist's diagnostic skills were first rate. There was no tooth decay, just TMJ and s minor gum problem so I don't have to go back. A relief.

Take care

Chris xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:09 am

Hello Caro

I just wanted to ask you something about autism. I hope you don't mind.

My cellmate is cranky. He was diagnosed with bipolar but says there is nothing wrong him. I think he may be autistic too. He can stare at the same page in a car magazine or map in an atlas for ages. He lacks empathy for other people. He also complains constantly of bad smells which I can't detect. Is that s feasible diagnosis? Not that I can tell him.

Thanks

Chris xx

caro

Postby caro » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:43 pm

Hello Chris

Pleased to see you had a positive dental appointment. Lucky to not need any treatment too.

The benzo withdrawal sounds very scary. From what I have heard ,it is common to have problems when stopping altogether. Hearing voices is not a nice thing to experience.

I am happy to answer your autism questions.
Your cell mate definitely could be showing male autism traits.

Autism is a vast spectrum,with people sometimes presenting very differently.

I have major problems with sensory issues. Smells, sounds. ,touch , bright lights can all send me into sensory overload.
I also have major anxiety and panic around social situations. I am ok one to one, but groups scare me.
One thing about female autism is the empathy criteria. I have too much empathy. I cry for other people,feel their emotions deeply, and worry constantly about whether I have upset someone.
I can focus on something for a very long time,which is similar to your cell mate staring at a map. I too have a fascination with maps , working out routes etc. Incidentally, I hate sat navs !!

I have Asperger's, which basically means autism without a learning disability.

I hope this has helped. Xx

Return to “Mutual Support Group”