Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Emotional resilience and the impact of its lack

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
sirhugo

Re: Emotional resilience and the impact of its lack

Postby sirhugo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:45 pm

good to see things continuing to look up for you. unfortunate that your triggers are so complex. maybe if you review your old diary entries you might find some patterns

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:08 pm

andthistoomustpass wrote:Err yeah... That's why I do it. ;)
:lol:

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:47 am

And? :D

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:31 pm

andthistoomustpass wrote:Good question!

Trigger is the key word for me, it is not one thing but a culmination. Any changes like this are the result of my subconscious slow cooking the ideas I feed it over time. The ideas are legion but the heart of them is reminding myself that 90% of our experiences are perception. They are subjective, like my negative predictions. I think practicing taking a step to another viewpoint will be helpful.

:lol:

mezzaninedoor

Postby mezzaninedoor » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:38 am

Im finding that all this talk of Brexit and No Deals etc etc is causing me to doubt my resilience
Sometimes I find I need to not watch and take in the News
Though that seems selfish
There seems to be triggery words being used like Disaster etc regards all this

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:04 pm

Hi

The whole news cycle is a pain. I used to listen to Today every morning but for the last two years it's been Brexit-Trump every day. Tuned out ages ago.

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:43 pm

Diary entry

In a really good mood this evening. Really tired but suddenly it stopped mattering.
Visited a self help group this evening. I was really pleased to see a girl had turned around 180 degrees since I saw her a couple of weeks ago, I could see the joy of life shining from her. She pulled me to one side as I left and told me that my words last time I attended triggered it, how much my words have helped her.

I've had feedback online. I have made some lovely friends here, and I like to think we help each other.

Some people in particular from here, past and present, have been such a vital support and help to me. You know who you are :) . There is a real difference between getting that lovely feedback of how much I've helped someone else via the forum, email or whatsapp and having someone stand in front of me, to see the change in them. To have them look me in the eye and tell me I've made the difference. Wow! I can't deny that, I can't pretend someone is just being nice as I do with online thanks. I've had a huge smile on my face all evening :D .

I texted a friend on the way home and told her. She replied that she is not surprised, I've made a real difference for her too :D .

For someone who's starting point is that they are worthless and a burden to everyone they meet, this has had a HUGE impact. I have genuinely accepted the compliment. Genuinely feel like a worthwhile person people are glad to know. Genuinely happy this evening :D . My words made the difference for her. Her words have made the difference for me. :)

maisi

Postby maisi » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:29 am

I'm so glad you know that- you are that person, and you deserve to feel it, because it's who you are. I can understand the difference between seeing it in your real life and hearing it on the forum etc, but what people say to you here is just as true- you're a very good soul, who helps others a lot and has a genuine impact. Time to believe it, attmp. And amazing mutual support work by the sound of it. Thinking of retraining at all?

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:43 am

Thanks Maisi, thank you so much :)

Retraining :lol: I'd be the world's worse counsellor. You get to know people so well, and I'm still quite emotionally raw. I'd end up falling in love with every other female client. :lol:

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:27 am

You can put me on your fan list also
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

Return to “Mutual Support Group”