Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

cmht consultant discharged me, though unwell.

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
pipsqueak

cmht consultant discharged me, though unwell.

Postby pipsqueak » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:45 am

Dear support group
the community mental health team are discharging me at my next consultant appt, they've also declined my gps request for a care coordinator, pals have enquired. I've a chronic condition, I'm now 59, and currently quite ill and vulnerable, if discharged ill still have medication and continue seeing the GP, but just last week my GP suggested a care coordinator/ community support worker and said she would make a request.
can anyone offer their own experience or kind advice? It seems unfair to discharge when still quite ill, distressed and part disabled. they say only if I do DBT which has been prescribed by a psychologist will they not discharge, but I've told them I've done much therapy already and didn't feel up to the very intensive and lengthy DBT appointments, a psychiatrist second opinion doubted its suitability too. On care coordinators they said I only wanted to talk and not manage my condition.
Last edited by pipsqueak on Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vision

Re: cmht discharging me, please help

Postby vision » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:46 pm

Your situation is common, the CMHT are discharging as many as possible to cut costs with no concern for patients.
PALS is a waste of time as they only back up the service.
All the CMHT are interested in is fobbing patients off with DBT, CBT ect.
If you have a good relationship with your GP try to explain you are not ready for discharge as you are to ill. If they do discharge go back to GP and get re-refered if needed. Does your consultant know how you really feel? i never get to see a consultant now, only nurse led clinic, another cost cutting excercise.
Dont know what to suggest really as MH services are in crisis and cost cutting is the priority.
Best regards

pipsqueak

Postby pipsqueak » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:27 pm

thankyou, i think I will see my GP about the discharge and not being well enough. the consultant also mentioned they are not seeing patients as often now. pity they can't offer me something apart from DBT, even just to see how things are going, some care. I'm sorry you have experienced similar. what is the nurse led clinic? I will carry on seeing my GP.

vision

Postby vision » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:33 pm

Since changes have been made in MH where i live, you no longer get to see a consultant. I am seen in a CMHT "nurse led clinic" every 6 months and they report back to a consultant. Its all to cut costs.
Has your consultant mentioned the nurse led clinic to you?

pipsqueak

Postby pipsqueak » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:45 pm

no I haven't heard of a nurse led clinic in our area.it would be something though if there was. I forgot to say that my GP has contacted the cmht to reconsider discharging me, aswell as re request a cco.
Last edited by pipsqueak on Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vision

Postby vision » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:58 pm

Try and be assertive and stand your ground if you feel too unwell to be disharged.
Your GP sounds suportive so try and keep a good Dr/ patient relationship going as they are the gatekeepers to services.
take care

pipsqueak

Postby pipsqueak » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:06 pm

thankyou, I do see my GP as needed, last time she requested a care coordinator and asked them to reconsider discharging me, as she could see I wasn't well. what else? I don't feel up to making an official complaint, I did see PALS last month though. I'll keep seeing my GP as I do.

pipsqueak

Postby pipsqueak » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:58 pm

dear support forum
I am quite sad about the cmht, they were so helpful first off, a lovely consultant and psych nurse for about a year or so, then they left and there was a re diagnosis, a pair of cpns with may I say a blumt manner were insistent on me doing DBT, an intensive therapy which I declined- I have done quite a bit of therapy and didnt feel up to it. I couldn't seem to get a care coordinator after that, even today my GP request was turned down, she thought it unfair, and now I'm told of their rationing consultant appts, hence the discharge now, unless I do DBT. if I just had someone from the team to check up on me every few weeks with an ocassional consultant review that would help and be a caring service, as it was. a second opinion psychiatrist said supportive therapy was more appropriate than intensive therapy, in writing too. I saw my GP today, she says I can always make appts with her as needed, which is some worthwhile continuity and care, please any kind support and counsel welcome!

vision

Postby vision » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:28 pm

MH is in crisis. I used to have an excellent consultant, he left the NHS and i dont blame him. I think he found the cutbacks and conditions unworkable as a professional. Those that are left in the service now do not seem under-qualified and do not have much empathy or understanding and are only concerned with meeting targets, ticking boxes and cutting costs.
You can always ask your GP ro refer you back if you feel necessary, its a revolving door scenario, you have to be persistent. They just want you to go away so they can tick a box.

pipsqueak

Postby pipsqueak » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:31 am

it's sad really. there is another MH team in the town, I don't know if they will let me go over to them.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”