Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

exercise and MH

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
SamiPineapple

exercise and MH

Postby SamiPineapple » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:06 pm

Hi everyone.
I used to use this forum a lot, but as life got busier I dropped myself away but I've come back to see if any of you can help me with a university assignment and maybe it will prompt some sort of other support (I'm not sure).

I'm currently writing an essay on how exercise helps people suffering from MH (all types of MH). Has anyone's doctor or other professional suggested that they take up exercise to help them "recover"? if so, how has it affected you? have you kept it up? how has it helped/not helped? Is there anything that you would suggest to others about exercise/sport (if you have done it).

Sorry if this all seems random, if you want to ask anything or talk personally feel free to PM me :)

Thank You :)
"Have you ever looked fear in the face, And said I just don't care" - P!nk

"don't you ever feel, Like your less then f**king perfect...if you ever feel
Like you're nothing, you're f**king perfect to me" - P!nk

GrannyV

Re: exercise and MH

Postby GrannyV » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:18 pm

Hi

I have always been an extremely active person all my life. Playing Netball, Squash, Badminton and for the last 12 years being an active member of a fitness club. Being of an outgoing nature I made many friends within my sporting activities.

So firstly yes my GP's did advise me to exercise during my two bouts of major depression and no I did not, or perhaps should I say could not, do much other than drag myself out of bed and endure the days that lay ahead of me.

When I was depressed I stopped virtually everything that was "me". All that was left was an empty shell. All the things that I managed to force myself to do gave me no pleasure at all. The worst of these were my youngest sons wedding and the birth of my grandson. It took every ounce of grit to get to the wedding venue and later in the year to the hospital where my grandson was born.

That is what depression did for me. Thankfully I am well at the moment and back to my usual gym routine.

Not sure if this is what you wanted to hear but this was how things were with me.

Hope all goes well with your studies.

Luv Granny V x x x

caz

Postby caz » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:51 pm

Hi Sami,

welcome back long time no speak eh?

just to let you know sane took the PM system down hence why alot of sane members dont use this board no more :(

see you around
“The darkness that surrounds us cannot hurt us.
It is the darkness in your own heart you should fear."

Where there's a way out.....I will find it!!!!

scotty1

Postby scotty1 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:12 pm

I would not have survived my severe depression is I did not take up running. I downloaded the nhs couch to 5k ( NHS website or i tunes) 2 years ago and it saved my life in many ways. I am now running 10k x3 a week.

It pushes my stressors and anxiety away and I can think of nothing else but completing my runs. nothing else gets into my head.
I love it.

LittleLotte

Postby LittleLotte » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:45 pm

Every single professional I see keeps advising me to go for walks! As if they're a magical cure! However this isn't helpful advice for the following reasons:
1. Insomnia, depression and my eating disorder zap all my energy and sometimes just walking down my stairs is enough 'exercise' for one day. The thought of trying to leave the house when I'm like this just makes me want to break down!
2. I don't live in a particular 'safe' area and have had people target me for the way I look in the past so being told to "just go for a walk around the block" isn't practical if I'm not mentally/emotionally strong enough to fight off any verbal attacks, or physically strong enough to run away from physical attacks.
3. My paranoia. Being out in public with paranoid thoughts isn't helpful at all and when I've tried to go for a short walk I've ended up coming home in a panic.
4. My eating disorder. It leads me to over exercise sometimes so I have to be careful about starting anything. Several times in the past I've gone for a walk and just kept going until I collapsed or someone came to collect me (because I was so far away from home).

However, I have tried yoga and pilates which sort-of works for me but I tend to do them alone at home as I generally can't manage classes. The positive feeling I get from doing these exercises is very short-lived.
Little Lotte thought of Everything and Nothing.

SamiPineapple

Postby SamiPineapple » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Thank you so much, you are amazing. You've helped me on my way with this assignment. Thanks for letting me know about the PM system, I had no idea, the site is so hard to navigate around too! When I finish work I will read and respond better, phone screen and a classroom isn't the best time , but thought I'd show my appreciation x
"Have you ever looked fear in the face, And said I just don't care" - P!nk

"don't you ever feel, Like your less then f**king perfect...if you ever feel
Like you're nothing, you're f**king perfect to me" - P!nk

LittleLotte

Postby LittleLotte » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:05 pm

You're welcome.

Today two more people suggested I go for walks!
Little Lotte thought of Everything and Nothing.

SamiPineapple

Postby SamiPineapple » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:39 am

Morning,

Thanks so much for your input I did use it in my essay but kept it all anonymous "l" "s" etc, but forgot to reference my source (oops!)
I got the mark back yesterday, 68% my highest this year (doesn't sounds very high,but it's a pass), so thank you all very much, it is very appriciated.
If anyone has any question about anything, feel free I will try my best to answer any.

SP x

Return to “Mutual Support Group”