Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

PETTITON TO BRING BACK PRIVATE MESSAGING!

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
jelly tot

PETTITON TO BRING BACK PRIVATE MESSAGING!

Postby jelly tot » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:37 am

THIS IS A COPY OF THE MESSAGE I HAVE SENT TO THE MODERATING TEAM REGARDING THE PM SYSTEM. IF YOU AGREE PLEASE POST A REPLY TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT!

As a user of this site and forum for 5years I'm saddened by the closure of the PM system. It has been fundamental in helping me gain support from other users! It was my lifeline for a long time! I can not understand why you would close such am important and necessary function. I have made friends for life who I was able to speak privately and in confidence. The PM system gave me a voice when my confidence and insecurities would not allow me to talk in an open forum. It also Offered me the abilities to save a few life's by being able to message individuals privately so they didn't need to feel embarrassed or alone in the darkest of times! I do not believe that you the moderators can fully comprehend the damage you have now done to the users of this site! I urge you to reconsider your actions before many long term members no longer feel able to gain the support from the system that gave us a voice when we wished to not talk publicly!
I WOULD APPRECIATE A RESPONSE TO MY POST!
Jelly Tot Xx

A thousand words, yet none that fit what i feel today!

caz

Re: PETTITON TO BRING BACK PRIVATE MESSAGING!

Postby caz » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:30 pm

I support this thread.....they should bring back PM's and maybe I will be here more often.
“The darkness that surrounds us cannot hurt us.
It is the darkness in your own heart you should fear."

Where there's a way out.....I will find it!!!!

Kankapoo

Postby Kankapoo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:38 pm

I Fully support this as well how ridiculous!!! What is the reasoning behind this?!
Is life worth living?

DC07

Postby DC07 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:36 am

I support this, and would return to using the board
I'm not mad, I'm furious

jelly tot

Postby jelly tot » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:11 am

Kankapoo wrote:I Fully support this as well how ridiculous!!! What is the reasoning behind this?!

This is there answer.

1. The PM (private message) function will no longer be available after 2.00pm on Monday 11th February 2013. If you wish to make alternative communication arrangements with other members, please do so before this change takes place. The reason for this change is that as the PM function is not public and cannot be overseen by the moderating team, it can undermine the objective of the Forum as a public space for the provision of mutual support.

personally the function should never had been available if that's the reason for removing it. So many members I know like this site but no longer feel comfortable using it due to the fundamental PM system being closed. It's like Dont give a kid candy then rip it away.
Jelly Tot Xx

A thousand words, yet none that fit what i feel today!

ooby

Postby ooby » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:05 am

jelly tot wrote:
Kankapoo wrote:I Fully support this as well how ridiculous!!! What is the reasoning behind this?!

The reason for this change is that as the PM function is not public and cannot be overseen by the moderating team, it can undermine the objective of the Forum as a public space for the provision of mutual support.

I have been on a good number of forums over the last 15 years and none apart from this one have closed down their PM system,giving the dishonest/spurious reasons Sane stated. It's usually accepted that the PM function is something that admin/moderators can't spy on hence private messaging. That Sane chose to close it because they couldn't oversee/spy on private messages smacks of a disturbing, control freak mindset that reflects badly ethically and morally on Sane as a charity for the mentally ill and their carers.
Instead of tackling real problems that had been pointed out on more than one occasion, Sane in an act of gross incompetence/malice/stupidity(take your pick) chose to do something that made these forums even worse.
Sane deliberately chose to show it's underlying contempt for the mentally ill by ignoring strong, and intelligent ,requests for the function to be retained.

Kankapoo

Postby Kankapoo » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:47 pm

It is ridiculous! plus the moderating team could also answer what has been asked.. if they are moderating they should have seen this x
Is life worth living?

Love

Postby Love » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:38 pm

I support this petition and I disagree with the mods response. It is not their job to moderate private messaging - just the boards. If someone were to feel they were being harassed or bullied on pm's though, this could be sent to the mods for them to act upon it if necessary. Private messaging would be very useful in some cases and the lack of it has meant I could not give some private support to someone who really wanted it.

AndreR

Postby AndreR » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:37 pm

I agree. I also believe that the PM facility could be an important part of making the decision to join a support forum.

This is the only forum I know that doesn't have the PM facility, I hope the moderators will seriously consider the reintroduction of this facility for members.
Mental health can be a difficult subject to discuss, people can feel sacred, confused, and hopeless about what they have to cope with, to add with the feeling of being alone to cope.

Experiencing unexpected intense emotional moments may often be relieved by a person knowing that they could share personal and private thoughts from these moments with a friend on SANE. To feel relief and comfort knowing that they are not alone, to know that they can PM between friends without publishing on the main board.

Someone may wish to share difficult thoughts, silent pains, untold experiences that they may not have talked about with anyone, because they may not have felt they could do so, due to the fear of being judged, feeling shame, guilt and paranoia.
Members can make friends, overtime may come to form a relationship based on support, to be there to listen can make a difference.

Of course if any members discovered any misuse or disagreements experienced through the PM facility, SANE moderators are always a form of contact to report to.

But overall I would expect the vast majority of members would benefit from the PM facility and may also be an important contribution to relieve anyone within the trigger space. The main forum I believe should be a place for general discussions and support as this forms the existence and future of the forum, but there are times some things need to said in private.

Take care

Andre
Do it...Afraid.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”