Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Feeling pretty bad

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
JamesT

Feeling pretty bad

Postby JamesT » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:39 pm

Hi all,

Things my way are not as bad as they once were, however recently it hasn't been so great.

To briefly explain my history:
I suffered from a bad psychotic episode about 4 years ago.
After stopping my medication 6 months ago, I suffered from a mixed affective state (mania & depression) which I have now recovered from.

I am now back on medication and take 2mg of Risperidone.

My problem at the moment, is that I'm suffering from stress, anxiety, and intrusive thoughts.
My anxiety is making me feel sick, and sometimes I clench my jaw during the day.
I have racing thoughts sometimes, which then most often leads to negative intrusive thoughts.
It's starting to make me feel quite low.

My situation in life would probably warrant this, as I'm currently looking for a job and attending interviews. I have beta blockers to help combat some of these symptoms, but today after taking one I can't say I feel too much better.

I was hoping that somebody here may have had similar experiences and any advice on how to calm down?

Thanks for reading.

James.

loubat

Re: Feeling pretty bad

Postby loubat » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:52 pm

HI James I hope you don't mind me postin on your thread sorry you strugge at moment although you sound still positive and have come through a lot already
I find music or doing something you enjoy can help relax or calm slowly can stop the racing thoughts and panics or even just some peace and quiet if the area is too busy for mind to cope
It might sound little silly but works to deep breath and talk to self to calm down or maybe reassurance from a family member or friend I tell self what is worst that could happen? I can leave at anytime etc
Or maybe worth seeing your doctor to either change or up your meds a little
Please ignore if it not wot you meant I hope you start to feel better soon much love Lou xxx

JamesT

Postby JamesT » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:09 pm

Hi Lou,

Thanks for responding.

You are right about doing stuff that you like, and also breathing techniques.
I guess I find it easy to forget these kind of things when I'm not feeling too great.

I suppose the trick may be to also try and prevent the stress and anxiety before it gets too much.
Easier said than done though :?

Thanks a million for giving me some inspiration

loubat

Postby loubat » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:14 pm

YEs it hard to remember wot to do when you are in middle of panic maybe keep your techniques simple and short so you can remember easier
Or just allow yourself each day to have hour were you can relax and be a little kind to yourself
NO problem I glad could help there is always kind people here to listen or give advice so never forget you not alone much love Lou xxx

Avalon

Postby Avalon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:24 pm

How about looking into changing your meds? Maybe tell you GP that you are feeling no better. When I was on risperidone my anxiety went sky high and I lived in a constant state of fear. I came off that and went on quetiapine which suited me much better. I'm not saying that the meds are causing your anxiety but that particular drug certainly made me more anxious.

JamesT

Postby JamesT » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:34 pm

Hi Avalon,

I was considering it.
Previously I have taken Abilify, which seemed to work well.

It's sometimes hard to know if it's the meds or just me.
I'm going to ride it out for a bit and see what happens.

If it goes on too long, then I will definitely look at changing.

Thanks!

Return to “Mutual Support Group”