Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Intrusive thoughts

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
Leonard

Intrusive thoughts

Postby Leonard » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:32 am

I have recently discovered that one of my symptoms is known as intrusive thoughts. This has been the stuff that I have kept hidden for maybe 20 years.I have them on a daily bases three or four times an hour when they are really bad, when I'm stressed or tired,it can make me have involuntary outbursts, little shouts or I will say 'NO' or'Sorry' out loud.
I'm just very relieved to know that this is something other people experience and that it is relatively common. It's helpful because I felt empathy for the other people,I didn't judge them I liked them, so maybe I won't be judged too harshly either?
the thoughts are of course very self critical and accusational and at the worst times they can feed delusional ideas. does anyone have any tips for shutting these things up?

ooby

Re: Intrusive thoughts

Postby ooby » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:10 pm

Not prone to intrusive thoughts but would like to welcome you to the forum.

Avalon

Postby Avalon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:48 pm

I was told just to accept them, just to notice them as you would any other thought. they can only gain power if you act on them like trying to block them etc. You can't block them, we can't block any thoughts they just happen. Just try noticing that they are there and telling yourself they're only thoughts. I still have them but they hardly bother me now, my reflexes towards them have changed and now I just accept that what can be thought will be thought by us. Don't think about a red pillar box. See I'll bet you just did x

Leonard

Postby Leonard » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Avalon wrote:I was told just to accept them, just to notice them as you would any other thought. they can only gain power if you act on them like trying to block them etc. You can't block them, we can't block any thoughts they just happen. Just try noticing that they are there and telling yourself they're only thoughts. I still have them but they hardly bother me now, my reflexes towards them have changed and now I just accept that what can be thought will be thought by us. Don't think about a red pillar box. See I'll bet you just did x

This is good advice but these thoughts are different they are more like emotional responses or sensations, they emerge through my whole body like the shock of remembering you've left the oven on and hearing fire engines. They are very real. I can observe strange or dark thoughts and they don't have power over me,these ones come with a real physical shock my blood runs cold and I will often start to shake. anxiety I guess. I'm going to try though,just let them come.
Thank you
P.S. Of course I thought about a red pillar box :D

Avalon

Postby Avalon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:13 pm

Maybe try to just notice them, let them be, when the shock response happens go with it. Maybe the shock will lessen with time. Have you had any therapy?

Leonard

Postby Leonard » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:39 pm

I've never had therapy, I am seriously thinking about CBT. I was hospitalized a few times in my teens and heavily medicated (this was due to acute psychotic experiences) but I have never really been offered any real therapy, I think it could help as these days it's really only the intrusive thoughts that affect my everyday life.

Avalon

Postby Avalon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:01 pm

CBT was the thing that really helped me. if you can afford it go private if not really push your GP for it.
Intrusive thoughts are just that, thoughts, they don't have to rule your life. They are just some weird part of us that likes to freak us out :D

Leonard

Postby Leonard » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:17 pm

Is this the same as what some people describe as 'voices' ?

Avalon

Postby Avalon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:34 pm

No, I think they're very different. I think that you may well benefit from CBT or some other kind of therapy such as ACT.

Sydney

Postby Sydney » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:17 am

I've experienced something similar on and off for a while now, recently it's got worse though when i'm alone or feeling anxious. A thought will appear and i have an almost instant physical reaction, like an uncontrollable movement of my body, this has been happening without any direct thoughts as well just like this feeling builds up and it comes out with a jerking movement. It's starting to worry me quite a bit.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”