Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Irrational x 10

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
ooby

Irrational x 10

Postby ooby » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:41 am

This anxiety of mine. Anxious over going to Sainsburys to get ingredients for next cooking session. I don't know why. It's not as though i haven't been there before albeit it tends to be certain times of the day.

Maybe it's the fact i've not been there on my own for quite a few months. It's so effing stupid. I'm an idiot.
It's not as though there's a genuine threat when i try and look at it logically.

Bepositivekeepstrong

Re: Irrational x 10

Postby Bepositivekeepstrong » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:38 pm

Noo ooby, you are not an idiot! It's fine, we all have our bad days.. maybe you are just a bit tired, I was scared to go to pick up some text books the other day! I felt ridiculous, I still don't know what that barrier was that told me to stay put.
I thought back to what I could have done to get myself there, and came up with, (may sound a bit daft) but try putting yourself in someone elses shoes, maybe it could be someone you look up to and then tell yourself how would they act in this situation? There's a point when we need our comfort zone, and a point when we so deperatley want that comfort zone but we need to recognise when these irrational thoughts come up and put a plan into action, we need our comfort zone when say for example, we have been completely embarrassed in front of loads of people, or we are in danger, and we want it when these anxieties really come out of nowhere. We can't let these things defeat us, you say it's the first time, so try not to think about it too much or be harsh on yourself but I'd say after my experience, that you should give it a try, if things get too much then you can always go back home earlier, if you can't then that's perfectly fine, just try and figure out some strategies to cope better next time these feelings pop up.

You say it's at certain times of the day, do these times maybe come a few hours after eating? Maybe the feeling of hunger could be mistaken for that butterfly feeling in your stomach. The brain works in funny ways, I know when I've eaten enough I feel much more able to cope!

This is just another hurdle, and can get over it! Don't call yourself silly names too, even people without anxieties get these strange thoughts so please don't worry! :)

ooby

Postby ooby » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:42 pm

Got shopping,luckily wasn't too busy, and stopped off at the Elvis cafe for a sandwich and a latte(i call it that because they play a lot of Elvis music/films and have some memorabilia on the walls).

It will be cottage pie on Monday.

Here is the recipe.

Serves: 4 adults
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

1kg potato chopped into chunks
350g extra lean minced beef
1 small onion finely chopped
1 carrot finely chopped
1 courgette finely chopped
100g green beans chopped
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 pinch ground black pepper
50g sweetcorn
4 tsp reduced salt gravy granules

What to do:

1. Cook the potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender, about 20 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan, add the minced beef - a handful at a time - cooking until browned.

3. Stir in the onion, carrot, courgette, green beans and mixed herbs. Add 450 ml water and bring to the boil. Simmer without a lid for 20 minutes.

4. Preheat the grill and warm a large baking dish under it for 1-2 minutes. Drain and mash the potatoes, seasoning them with some pepper.

5. Add the sweetcorn to the mince mixture, then sprinkle in the gravy granules, stirring until thickened. Season if needed, then tip into the baking dish. Spoon the mash on top, spreading it out to cover the mince, then grill until browned. Serve at once.

Tips:

1. To make a veggie version of this pie, use Quorn mince and vegetable gravy granules instead of beef.

2. If your kids don't like pieces of courgette, try grating it instead so that it will not be noticed.

Bepositivekeepstrong

Postby Bepositivekeepstrong » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:47 pm

Yay success, nicely done and a well deserved stop too!
Thankyou for the recipe, I actually do have mince that's defrosting as we speak so that might be on the table this afternoon :)
Just need some spuds now, glad to hear you made it to the shops, hope I do next time, fingers crossed!
So do you cook at home or at a class? I used to be a chef so I adore cooking oh..and baking soo much more, I don't half make a mess though!
I'll let you know how it tastes.

ooby

Postby ooby » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:51 pm

Not a class. I couldn't cope with a class. It will be when the rehab team come round. Have made some of the recipes they gave me on my own, but motivation is a big problem.

Bepositivekeepstrong

Postby Bepositivekeepstrong » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:56 pm

I see that's nice then, cooking for me is quite calming and the obvious joy of eating my creations too!
Smalls steps for now, I wish you the very best of luck!
Making tea time as we speak, these onions are harsh on my eyes though owcch!
take care ooby, all the best.

judithj
Location: Have you ever thought what it's like, to be wanderers in the fourth dimension?

Postby judithj » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:43 am

Hi ooby - sorry I haven't been around much, but just haven't been able to do much. As an alternative, you could substitute a tin of baked beans for the veg (for the quantities you've given, a 15oz tin would be right). Hugs, Judith xxx

Bepositivekeepstrong

Postby Bepositivekeepstrong » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:08 pm

Yes beans! Made it, went down a treat with the other half too, thanks!

ooby

Postby ooby » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:58 pm

judithj wrote:Hi ooby - sorry I haven't been around much, but just haven't been able to do much. As an alternative, you could substitute a tin of baked beans for the veg (for the quantities you've given, a 15oz tin would be right). Hugs, Judith xxx

Baked beans would be easier than chopping up all that veg. Worst part is going to be peeling the potatoes. I'm a very slow peeler.

judithj
Location: Have you ever thought what it's like, to be wanderers in the fourth dimension?

Postby judithj » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:37 pm

You can leave the skins on and put thinly sliced potatoes on top: in that case, I suggest you wash the potatoes well, halve them and part cook them in boiling salted water (about 10 mins). Drain, cover with a piece of kitchen-roll while the potato gets cool enough to handle. Slice thinly, cover the mince with the slices and put a few little dots of butter on top, then grill as before.
The potatoes can discolour easily, so sliced potato doesn't freeze very well. However, you can cook them and then peel them. An alternative topping - if you really can't cope with peeling - is scrunched up ready salted crisps. You'd need about 4 individual-sized packs: you could use the salt and shake ones without the salt to be healthier. Don't grill for very long as crisps burn easily. I think you can get other vegetable "crisps", so you could try them, or just bread-crumbs. The best way to make bread-crumbs is to put a couple of slices of bread in a toaster on a low setting. Keep toasting on this setting until the bread is dry and crumbles easily, hugs, Judith xxx

Return to “Mutual Support Group”