Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Ideal mental health service?

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
umbrella4therain

Ideal mental health service?

Postby umbrella4therain » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:34 am

So many of us have had unsatisfactory experiences with mental health services, I am wondering what people think is important in a good service... I want to work to improve services in my area and have been talking to my mp who seems to be on the same wave length. I am wondering what other peoples ideas, experiences and opinions are? What do you think the ideal mental health provision would look like? What is important to you?

belle

Re: Ideal mental health service?

Postby belle » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:51 pm

In an effort to be proactive rather than reactive I am on some working parties for my MH Trust and have seen my MP a few times about it all.
It is an up hill struggle as they are so slow to do anything and achieve anything. The pace is ridiculous. There are so many managers, most of whom as business not clinically trained, and the focus is so nebulous at times I could scream. After meetings I expect to receive minutes with an action plan but most of the time I don't get anything because all our 'valuable and insightful' comments are binned and consequently nothing is done!
It certainly wouldn't have been acceptable when I was well enough to work.
However, I persevere but it's hard work.
In answer to your question the global answer is one that works!
Seriously I admire you efforts as we have to keep on at them to try to effect some kind of progress. Good luck with it.
xx

oobydoobie

Postby oobydoobie » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:16 pm

1) Where the pdoc/cpn etc enquires about the background of the service user and listens to what the service user has to say about his/her experiences.

2) Chronic service users are not marginalised .

3) Is not overly pushing a brain chemistry- medication agenda to the relative exclusion of other approaches/factors.
My newspaper

Support on these forums is dictated by being part of the in crowd or not, not by need.

belle

Postby belle » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:38 pm

Thanks ooby.
I know it's not my thread but I hope you don't mind me putting anything new into our melting pot too brolly?
Lu - as of April the NHS have a 'Duty of Candour' to admit when they have messed up quickly and responsibly, and to take immediate steps to redress the situation.
Hopefully we can keep adding to this to help other people as well as ourselves.
Thank you for thinking of doing this u4tr.
xxx

umbrella4therain

Postby umbrella4therain » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Thanks guys. I agree with all you have said. I am sorry to hear that progress has been so slow and frustrating Belle but it is really positive that you are still trying to make a change. Of course you can Belle.
My suggestions are there needs to be drop in, non-referral services where people can access information, advocacy and support. More peer support, recreational groups and choice around access to psychological therapies. And more collaboration between the public and voluntary sectors to ensure service users know of services in their community. An emphasis on helping people to find meaningful and fullfilling activities.

belle

Postby belle » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:19 pm

Thank you brolly.
You have made some really insightful points too.
Also, there are issues of confidentiality (or lack of), patient and staff safety on the secure ward, lack of therapy availability and limited choice/time limits within the small opportunities, too many managers without any basic clinical understanding of patient issues, lack of rewards and low morale among the staff, under staffing, poor Crisis Line, random access to the Crisis Team, over reliance on threatening to hospitalise patients if you are very unwell but not requiring admission (because it's easier for them), under trained staff to deal with complex cases, lack of stability and continuity for patients with too many locum staff, over reliance on other agencies (usually charitable or patient funded) to pick up the pieces they don't/refuse to provide, improved and proactive response to formal complaints, ideally a MH nurse in every GPs surgery for a proportionate amount of time, better communication to MDTs, fewer organisational changes for staff and patients constantly have to grapple with, more (funded) support groups for targeted groups of patients, employment support, support for dealing with benefits forms and assessments, positive relationships with the advocacy service, more real service user involvement rather than tokenism, supporting carers, improving delivery of courses at the Recovery College and so on.
Having read that back it's put in negative terms mostly, but these are the sorts of issues we are up against/trying to address.
Essentially the MH Trust management and service delivery structure is vertical and the patient pathway is horizontal. Er, huge stumbling block before you start on the detail.
Anyway, when I am well enough I try to do my bit.

umbrella4therain

Postby umbrella4therain » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:58 pm

Thank you Belle. That is really helpful. Its clear you have a lot of insight into the difficulties and its admirable that you are working to change things inspite of the stumbling blocks. They are all very good points. xxx

Return to “Mutual Support Group”