Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Obsession with exercise *Trig*

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
fluteandpiano

Obsession with exercise *Trig*

Postby fluteandpiano » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:11 pm

I have never been diagnosed with any sort of eating disorder but in the last few months my eating and exercise habits have become a little worrying. I joined a competitive sports team in October and have never trained this much before in my life despite doing lots of sport previously. I am now training 6 times a week and it is controlling my life. I do love exercising but it has become more of an obsession and also an obsession with losing weight. I have lost nearly 2 stone from the exercise but admittedly I was a bit overweight to start with. I should be happy with this but I am not and want to lose more. I am eating but I am either very restrictive or go through stages of binging. I don't really know what to do about it all as I am a healthy BMI and will be ignored by my GP I am sure. I don't really know what other options are available but I would like to maybe get some help as the exercise in particular is quite addictive.

Does anyone have any advice on what I could do? I feel so bad when I haven't exercised and don't really know how to stop it all.

Thank you

Andrew Lorimer

Re: Obsession with exercise *Trig*

Postby Andrew Lorimer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:45 pm

Quite simply: you stop!

You must be self directing.

Obtain your own self and do right things.

painkillerv3

Postby painkillerv3 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:15 am

You could ask to see your GP's dietitian team, they can help you with both sides of the problem then can enlist the help of the GP without you having to battle for it first. Its hard to know when exorcise becomes a obsession or addiction, maybe its nothing to do with weight or food it could be the internal need to challenge yourself along side weight opinions. I work a fair amount on exorcise 3 hours a day or so I would not class it as obsession as much as punishment. I think its a line you can only draw yourself. Hope this helps. pk
I'm a little tea pot bloody and cut, here is my handle here is my butt

ONLY 7 WEEKS LEFT!!

fluteandpiano

Postby fluteandpiano » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:29 pm

Thanks, yeah that sounds like a good option. Yeah I know what you mean. It was fine until I started changing my diet and now it has become something that does involve weight and eating. I am trying to get it all under control. Thanks again.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”