skyfall95

Re: Thoughts won't go away Trig

Postby skyfall95 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:40 am

Yes it does help to discuss my thoughtswill talk more tomorrow. Night

Andrew Lorimer

Postby Andrew Lorimer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:46 am

@sallybee,

I wouldn't disagree with your granddaughter.

Though I'd add that our knowledge is nil.

skyfall95

Postby skyfall95 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:07 pm

sallybee wrote:
Skyfall, if you were badly bullied I think I can understand your anxieties, especially if the bullying included threats or actual violence. Do you think you could be experiencing a form of PTSD?

I really wish I could help, does it help to talk about your thoughts?

I have never thought it could possibly PTSD. The bullying had no threats or violence. I was bullied by people I thought were friends, they bullied me because it made them feel good about themselves.

eYe

Postby eYe » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Hi there,

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about labels like PTSD. (I say that, but I've been worrying a lot about myself and looking for the perfect diagnosis that exactly describes me!)

We all have a "self image", which is how we think about ourselves, and how we think others think about us. Some parts of this self image might be accurate, other parts might be less so. Bullying is the sort of thing that tends to make you feel there's something wrong with you, and your self image can develop parts to it that are unreasonably negative.

skyfall95, I'm assuming the troubling thoughts you're having just keep popping into your head, and that makes you feel upset? They call these kind of things "intrusive thoughts", and they're actually really common, they just don't become a big problem for most people. These thoughts are very well known by therapists, and it's very much the sort of thing they know how to help with. I only really learnt about them from a 2 minute chat during an assessment I had, so I'm not the expert. But I think the idea is that you can learn to just accept these thoughts. When you have them and try to force them to go away, it means that you stay anxious about them and they are more likely to pop up again later. Does that make sense?

I think understanding what's happening is the key to making things better. You might also find medications useful, possibly - if the problem is like what I described, then reducing anxiety will help to break that cycle. You're not crazy :)

Hope that makes some sense to you :)

skyfall95

Postby skyfall95 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi eYe Thanks I think you are right. It makes sense but I dont understand how to accept the thoughts.

eYe

Postby eYe » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:29 pm

The "acceptance" thing is about staying detached, I think. When you have uncomfortable thoughts, rather than reacting to them and worrying about them, you sort of "stand back" from it and just observe it. It's ok to think "well, I don't like this thought, but it's just a thought and it will pass".

You can find a ton of stuff about this on the web (e.g. search for: accepting intrusive thoughts). But I don't know, it could be that something else like OCD describes things better for you.

I'd really just advise having the chat with your GP. Explain what happens and how much it's upsetting you. I'd also suggest not using technical terms like phobia/intrusive thoughts/OCD when you do this - unless you're very confident about what you're saying, it may just mislead the doc. It's usually best to just describe the facts, and let the doctor work out which of these terms are relevant!

skyfall95

Postby skyfall95 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:44 pm

Ok Thank You eYe :)

skyfall95

Postby skyfall95 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:35 pm

Still having the thoughts I want to phone the Sane helpline but am unsure if I should phone them again, as I phoned them yesterday.

skyfall95

Postby skyfall95 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:20 am

I still think of it constantly now its really bad. what should I do?

skyfall95

Postby skyfall95 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:25 am

Woke up at 4:20 thinking about it and feel really sick.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”