Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Rising anxiety

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
siriusbinary

Rising anxiety

Postby siriusbinary » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:57 am

Hello everyone,

It's been a long time since I have posted - in general been doing ok.

That's changing. Won't bore everyone with details but basically I made a mistake at work, was redeployed until i could be retrained. The redeployment exacerbated a physical disability i have and was an activity in direct contradiction with OH advice. Cue interaction with obtuse management who basically left me in the wind.

I put myself fit to work as long as it met OH advice - asked them to contact me and no one did. Union rep said he was going tospeak with two senior managers as they had both contacted him. And silence. (Have to say Union rep is nice guy but can be elusive)

I realize i probably should have chased things up but i had no idea who to chase up.

Now i have lost pay and been informed i am on unauthorized leave. I have to attend a meeting this week. I have written a letter asking them to tell me now where they want me to work.

I am as anxious as hell. Usual stuff, can't sleep, not eating. Genuinely feel like I am being lined up to be sacked. Know bricks and mortar aren't everything but idea of losing my house is devasting.

Trying to keep things in perspective but starting to feel overwhelmed. Don't want to go back to the dark dark days of depression.

Any thoughts?
Hx
Wag more, bark less x

Gemsy83

Re: Rising anxiety

Postby Gemsy83 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:09 pm

Hi it's horrible when its all up in the air. Have had a bad work week too had a dismissal hearing as mine won't follow OH advice. Have you contacted union so they can be at the meeting. Try him and the main contact for your region maybe?

I don't know about you but I have things I have to do daily to do well. So eat three times a day go outside, try and get enough sleep etc. when things slip for me I need to take time out, talk to people (well done for posting). Try being in the moment. It's when we're not depression and anxiety thrive. Easier said than done, I know.

I hope it all goes well but the most important thing is to keep you wellso you can deal with what life is chucking your way.

Take care,
Gemma

Nina

Postby Nina » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi there,

It must have been a while since you were here, because I don't think we've met, so to speak.

I'm sorry things are building up like this. I could try and give you a load of advice about dealing with your employer, but to be honest you do sound stable enough at the moment to deal with them effectively if they were playing fair, so it's not going to help.

A couple of things I would suggest are to write a letter of grievance to your employer about the lack of information and working conditions (in case you end up at a tribunal, you'd have something on file), and if you have a good GP, visit him/her and get them to give you a bit of time to collect yourself, that is assuming you get occupational sick pay.

As for depression, I wish I knew how to stop it, because I'd cure everyone on this board. If you're still able to enjoy things, don't let this situation put you off, especially on a sunday. It's important to have good stuff in your life as well, particularly when the rest of it isn't going so good.

I hope things improve soon.

*hugs*

Nina xxx
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5/11/12 1800, Trafalgar Square: re-enactment of final scene from "V for Vendetta" Be there.

Avalon

Postby Avalon » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:18 pm

It's no surpise that you're feeling this way with all of that going on. I really feel for you.
i know that there's a free advice line on employment law so maybe google them and see what they have to say.
Have you got any supportive people around?

siriusbinary

Postby siriusbinary » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:20 pm

Thank you for the replies x

I used the board to support me a few years ago when I had severe depression. The members got me through some of my darkest days.

Having been through it - and come out the other side (it can happen!) I know recognize subtle changes in my state of mind far quicker.

My Union rep just wants to focus on getting me back to work - fine, I understand that. It's a priorty. However dealing with the attitude and I believe discrimination that I am facing (even down to the wording of a new occupational health referral) Ijust wanted itsorted out fully and properly.

I will see my GP tomorrow. Maybe he can give me something for the anxiety and something to help me sleep.

I am fortunate enough to have a couple of good friends, they are very supportive but it must be as boring as hell to hear me bang on about work and i tend not to let onhow anxious I am.

Hx
Wag more, bark less x

siriusbinary

Postby siriusbinary » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:22 pm

Hi Avalon,

are you able to direct me to where i might find that number?

Hx
Wag more, bark less x

Avalon

Postby Avalon » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:39 pm

I will ask my friend who has used it. In the meantime I have looked online and found this :

http://www.co-operative.coop/legalservi ... yment-law/

Lucretia

Postby Lucretia » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:09 pm

sending you my love
x
It's nice to be important ,but it's more important to be nice
xxxxxx

non muggle and proud

siriusbinary

Postby siriusbinary » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:05 pm

Have spent afternoon and evening drafting a formal grievance letter that I doubt I will have the courage to submit, or that the Union rep will try to talk me out of submitting.

Am tired, tearful and feeling very stressed.

Am sick of myself and my inability to be brave.

:(
Wag more, bark less x

Nina

Postby Nina » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:10 pm

Please don't give up. Submit the letter - you have every right to do so. They are not allowed to discipline you for it, or treat you any differently because of it. If they then continue with their policy of what sounds like constructive dismissal, it will only aid you.

Try to stay calm so that you can explain what is happening at your GP appt tomorrow. If you need to, write it down in a notebook so that you don't forget anything. If he can give you some breathing space, I think that would really help.

*hugs* Because it sounds as though you need them.

Nina xxx
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5/11/12 1800, Trafalgar Square: re-enactment of final scene from "V for Vendetta" Be there.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”