Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Touchy feely nonsense

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
cazmo26

Touchy feely nonsense

Postby cazmo26 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:02 pm

I really don't want to insult or hurt anyone, that's the last thing I would ever do, but I really have issues with all this "sending love and hugs" business. It sounds weird, and is probably not much use to anyone who is at the bottom of a deep hole.
I know this is a fault on my part, a lack of ability to show emotion with strangers (I do have a fear of being seen as weak), and this goes hand in hand with my complete and utter social ineptitude.
I think if I could solve my depression and anxiety issues, I would be more comfortable in social situations and have more confidence.
I don't know if anybody else has similar feelings, I would certainly enjoy having a good old mutual rant with anybody who does!

Harmony

Re: Touchy feely nonsense

Postby Harmony » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Lol, i felt like you did a couple of years ago, i was like.. What is all this hugs and xxooxx about? I dont know these pple and their giving me (((hugs))) and whatnot. Only i first came across all this on a different website, this one :http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Depression/support-group
You get sent friend requests and you can accept or ignore, you can write a journal, you can send ((HUGS)) you can do other stuff too (sorry sane, its a better layout and better site!)

I'm not touchy and huggy like this with my own family (other than hubby and son) So like you it all felt a bit weird, but in the end you end up doing it cos its a part of it, you just end up rolling with it, its done without any thought really. I put kisses on the end of a text to hubby and i put a ((hug)) on messages to pple on the other side of the world!

The way to feel more comfortable in social situations is to feel you have some worth, something to offer, something to add to a conversation, you dont have to be huggie feely, you just have to give off an open vibe and a willingness to listen to others.

PainkillerV2

Postby PainkillerV2 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:51 pm

Right with you Cazmo, all this love and hugs stuff and emotions are just a pain in the backside. Do you actually feel anything towards others or do you fake it to seem fit in? you are not alone.
Confidence is all it takes that and some simple tactics all else are secondary issues. Just stand firm in social situations even if your going nuts in your head just emit confidence and the rest will follow.

belle

Postby belle » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:02 pm

Each to their own opinion.
Whatever you may think about the 'touchy feely nonsense' I imagine there are few people on here who have not been at the 'bottom of a deep hole' as you say.
Although you have stated you have no intention of insulting or hurting anyone I have to say I do feel both of those things. No doubt some flaw in my personality and I have misinterpreted your post. However, in my opinion I feelyour remarks are rather insensitive.

PainkillerV2

Postby PainkillerV2 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:06 pm

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, Bell its what happens when you have no emotions to feel, im the same most likely worse but I dont think it was meant to insult anyone though I can see how you would be offended by it.

belle

Postby belle » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:22 pm

Sometimes there are no words, no feelings, no comfort, no hope, nothing but the blackness of impending death on the road to whatever lies beyond death. Maybe please don't underestimate other peoples' experiences. I can understand you not meaning to offend people and accept that. However, after 36 years of MH illness sometimes 'all' there is in the solitary black pit of utter suicidal despair is a simple 2D cyber gesture of mutual support and comfort.
Each to their own.
Belle

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:30 pm

BIG (((HUGS))) to All!

PainkillerV2

Postby PainkillerV2 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:31 pm

I agree each to their own, people handle things in different ways and with different effects. Some people are really good at being all sensitive and caring or accepting that care and love in return others struggle for it. I understand how people cope with depression and other illness's but its hard to grasp without an understanding of emotions themselves, I think this is why people cant understand me I have this in common with the OP of this thread. I am one of a kind unique so im told I handle things differently but have the habit of offending people in the process.

belle

Postby belle » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:40 pm

I have read your repsonse but I'm sorry I don't know what OP means - opinion maybe or other people? Not a techie or text speak person - too old for all that.

PainkillerV2

Postby PainkillerV2 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:42 pm

Your not old, OP= original post/ poster

Return to “Mutual Support Group”