Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Atos- ESA and the failed assessment

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
scotty1

Atos- ESA and the failed assessment

Postby scotty1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:04 pm

Hi all, just want to ask people's experience of the work capability assessment .

I went for my asssessment in September, was called at 5p.m. today to say I had not scored enough points. Mind you not the 0 but a measly 6. You need 15!
I was advised I can appeal, suppose they say that to everyone!
Or apply for Job Seekers allowance. The thing is employers can't employ you if you have a sick cert?? :?: And I am way not ready to work yet as my depression evolved from the stress and issues as work.

Would love to hear your views and experience, plus any advice.
thanks

scotty1

Kuruneko

Re: Atos- ESA and the failed assessment

Postby Kuruneko » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:36 pm

I have had 2 of these assesments from the ATOS clowns, it seems now that if you are not already in a pysche ward you dont qualify and even then it is not a guarantee.

I, like you thought that if you had a "sick" note for wont of a better description you needed an assesment and script from a gp to say that you are fit to work/ seek work etc.

It seems strange that they are willing to force you to seek JSB??

My advice would be to appeal, i dont know if you have heard a lot of the furor surrounding ATOS, but half the time they dont even read or get any extra information concerning you from your gp or other medical sources, they just make the decision on the form you have filled in...!

One last peice of advice, ALWAYS ALWAYS fill in these forms as if you were at your WORST, I know this sounds a stupid thing to type but a lot of people fill them in based on their current wellbieng at the time, so if you are not having one of you bad days........... See what i am saying? They read the form and erroneously mark you fit and well.

This is not fraud or underhanded, they require the knowledge to diagnose you at your worst, i mean you dont go to the gp when you are well do you?
"All the promises I made, just to let you down, you believed in me but I`m broken. I have nothing left and all I feel is this cruel wanting" -lost in paradise [Evanessence]

judithj
Location: Have you ever thought what it's like, to be wanderers in the fourth dimension?

Postby judithj » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:39 pm

appeal asap and get as much information as you can about how your condition affects you. you may get further points in your appeal. also if your doctor thinks that work or work-related activities are likely to make your mental health worse, then get that in writing. i appealed the decision to put me in WRAG and a letter from my gp to that effect was enough to get me into the support Group. good luck, hugs, Judith xxx

stalwart

Postby stalwart » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:20 pm

You need to appeal. If you know perfectly well you're not well enough to work and your GP agrees you've got a good chance of being successful, but it is a lengthy process and you need to plan for the stress ahead by discussing it with your GP and saying you may need extra support while you go through it. Perhaps ask about counselling services with local charities you could use xxx

Right now about half of those who appeal are successful, but there are probably also a sizeable portion of very ill people who can't face the stress of an appeals process and so don't bother. Don't be one of them.
Ex nihilo nihil fit

carebear

Postby carebear » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:57 pm

I got a supporting letter from my pdoc saying she that work or work-related activities are likely to make my mental health worse. Also a doctors note for 2 months saying i'm not fit to work as well as a letter from occupational health at work at the time I was employed saying that I was unfit to work. having as much evidence and copying everything before you send off is best too.

Like others said, you need to fill in the form base on a time when you have been at your worst which is what I was advised by my cousin who is a Social Worker.

Carebear x

belle

Postby belle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:12 pm

I have just had to fill in the big medical questionairre for ESA which was very stressful and took ages to do.
I've no idea if I will continue to get the ESA.
Also applied for DLA in June and still haven't heard as they are still considering it.....
The whole process is so daunting when you are unwell.
I hope you can appeal and get somewhere with your application.
Take it easy.
xxx

stalwart

Postby stalwart » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:39 pm

I was on the introductory rate of ESA (£70) for 5 months and never heard a word from ATOS about an assessment. Every time I asked what was going on the benefits office said there was a big backlog, but if my assessment found me unfit I would get the money backdated. By the time I finally got a letter from them offering me an assessment date I'd been back at work for a month so never had an appointment and never got the backdated money. They're utterly useless.
Ex nihilo nihil fit

belle

Postby belle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:41 pm

Yes, I'm getting that impression - although I did get a reminder to day to say I hadn't sent it back and if they didn't get it by the due date they would be sending the boys round - or words to that effect!
Why can they be so efficient abotu that and so rubbish about other things?
Overworked, understaffed, cuts,..... I give up.
Take care and keep fighting.
xxx

stalwart

Postby stalwart » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:59 pm

Thing is it's in ATOS' interests to find reasons to refuse as many people as possible. They were hired to carry out the new assessments, and the assessments are specifically designed to get people off disability benefits, so that's their remit whatever else the government or they say. So if they faff about until people get fed up and get a job, so much the better. If they pressure ill people who haven't got their forms in in time and then cut their benefits, so much the better for them. It all looks great on their stats sheet. There are no penalties put on them for finding people ineligible who then win on appeal so they might as well carry out the tests with complete incompetence and then say people aren't eligible, and meanwhile put pressure on doctors who find more people eligible than they would expect/hope. It's a win win situation and they have nothing to lose by treating disabled people like dirt.
Ex nihilo nihil fit

scotty1

Postby scotty1 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:05 am

Dear all,
first of all a big thank you to all who replied. I really appreciate your comments and I feel more enlightened by your thoughts, and knowledge of the process.

Firstly I thought don't appeal............ just cave in, now I feel more empowered by everything including your support.
So will wait for the letter of confirmation and then go through the appeal process.

you have been a great help.

this is a stressful business.

scotty1
:|

Return to “Mutual Support Group”