Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

psychiatrists

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
DC07

Re: psychiatrists

Postby DC07 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:59 am

GPs get £75-79k, more if they are a partner in the practise, a nurse is on around £30k.
I'm not mad, I'm furious

Synthesis

Postby Synthesis » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:58 am

I've seen at least 10 different ones over the years and would agree with stalwart. they are practical medical people not therapeutic. i have found it helpful to take a list of questions with me if i want to discuss my diagnosis or medication. mind you the last one got out her text book to show me. . . . i nearly told her i couldn't read :P

then there was the one in the mother and baby team who said he had looked in a book and there was such a thing as pre menstrual syndrome ! ! !

stalwart

Postby stalwart » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:27 pm

Oh my God, that's worse than the orthodontist who once said to me "you know, on my way to work today, would you believe a saw a FEMALE police motorcyclist. The funny things that happen in the world today..."

What is this, 1932???
Ex nihilo nihil fit

judithj
Location: Have you ever thought what it's like, to be wanderers in the fourth dimension?

Postby judithj » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:12 pm

i still remember, about 10 years ago, doing learning support. the male science teacher was telling the class about periods and came out with the usually "5 days bleeding in a 28 day cycle". I think i was on about day 10 of my period and my cycle was about 24 days on average. that guy will never know how close he came to having something thrown at him :evil: hugs, Judith xxx

Synthesis

Postby Synthesis » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:43 pm

I think in all honesty you probably have to be a little bit special to be a psychiatrist!!!! My 'favourite' was the one who looked a bit like ken dodd and who prescribed me large doses of Tryptophan until it was withdrawn from the market!!!

I did complain about the one who had only just come across pms....i think I might have come across a bit hysterical and the mother and baby receptionist was very lovely. Got to see the consultant after that and to be fair she is the only psych I have ever had any time or respect for. She did know how to do her job!!

Synthesis

Postby Synthesis » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:44 pm

Sorry....it's surprisingly cathartic dissing these people!

stalwart

Postby stalwart » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:44 pm

The psychiatrist I saw after going to A&E because I had been planning to seriously hurt myself, after losing my job and finding out my flatmate was kicking me out because I couldn't pay rent, said to me "I think you're too focussed on money."

WHAT PLANET DO THESE PEOPLE LIVE ON???

Yes, it is cathartic.
Ex nihilo nihil fit

Kuruneko

Postby Kuruneko » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:22 pm

My psyche doesnt seem bothered about me, just keeps pushing me to do voluntary work to get me out of the house, mind u after my last no show appointment i dont even think i have a psyche at all now, as I have not had another appointment through the post, ah well look forward to a bollocking on friday when i see my gp for repeat meds.
"All the promises I made, just to let you down, you believed in me but I`m broken. I have nothing left and all I feel is this cruel wanting" -lost in paradise [Evanessence]

Synthesis

Postby Synthesis » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:16 pm

oh no.....an unsympathetic gp too...that is not a great combination at all.

Stalwart - the joys of the A&E team........last time I said of course I would see them while I was there.....and I really would have done......but I had a child to collect from school (a very fixed deadline!!). It took them so long to sort me out and no one from the team had arrived that I just left!! Of course that meant I had the police on my doorstep later on.....try explaining that to a 5 yo lol!!

stalwart

Postby stalwart » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 pm

Ah, well walking out wasn't really an option for me as they stuck a security guard at the door in case I made a run for it - This was unlikely as I did walk in off the street totally off my own steam but I take it as a positive that they were taking it seriously.

Honestly - the psychiatrist was very nice and everything and I know she wanted to be understanding, but it's extremely hard trying to explain your problems to someone who inhabits a completely different universe to you and always has. It was exactly the same when I had to see a university therapist when I was at Oxbridge and had to try to explain what it's like coming from a working class background into that sort of environment. They end up treating all your problems as an irrational brain disease and nothing else instead of a crisis brought onto a vulnerable person by an accumulation of actual concrete circumstances. It's a bit like a farmer getting crop advice from the Lord of the Manor. They might have studied it to kingdom come but they just don't know what it's actually like down in the muck and the rain.
Ex nihilo nihil fit

Return to “Mutual Support Group”