Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

I have just come out to my son

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
whathappened

I have just come out to my son

Postby whathappened » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:11 am

My son asked my mum if I was ill and she just told him I have schizophrenia. When I thought the house was bugged and the tv was speaking to me I was just ill. He has took it really well. Maybe I can pluck up the courage to come out so to speak to a few of my friends.

Aleshadxcherylc

Re: I have just come out to my son

Postby Aleshadxcherylc » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:34 am

Hi
Well done you that is a massive achievement well done you must have been difficult it would be good if you could tell your friends then they would be able to help you more.
Well done again you should be proud of yourself can't have been easy.
Xx
And the tears come streaming down your face,when you lose something you cant replace
Till now, I always got by on my own, I never really cared until I met you
No-one ever comes close to you

whathappened

Postby whathappened » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:37 am

thank you no it wasnt easy but it is just the first baby steps

kasskaa11

Postby kasskaa11 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:40 am

its a big dilemma eh?

i hid my depression from my boys when they were growing up, now as grown men they cannot handle it, when i bring up the subject and am honest about it they either change the subject or turn away, if i had a physical illness theyd be running around looking after me and holding my hand...

you must have felt it was the right thing to do.... it was easy for me to hide, i have four boys, id lock myself in the loo and say id a headache. and they accepted it and continued fighting, as boys do.

i have friends who suffer also and their kids are really involved in their moums recovery, it makes me sad, maybe if id let them in on it when they were growing up wed be closer?

we just do what we think is best at the time.... years ago, who knows they may have been picked on in the playground cos their mum was a looney?? it was like that back then...

xoxoxo annie

whathappened

Postby whathappened » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:17 am

thanks annie there could be so many consequences its a hard thing to do

oobydoobie

Postby oobydoobie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:15 am

I didn't have much choice but to 'come out'. I lived in a small village when i first became ill and my parents weren't slow at telling people i suffered from schizophrenia(my original diagnosis).
Worst i can remember is my mum taking me to a rather busy local country pub for a drink and telling friends of hers she met there,in quite a loud manner,that i was schizophrenic. I might as well have been wearing a t shirt saying 'Hi folks,i'm a schizophrenic'.

All my late mum's work friends knew i was mentally ill. I myself have actively told very few people i have a mental illness but i think people can be very astute at picking up signals that there is something not quite right because i probably give off unintentional signs.
My newspaper

Support on these forums is dictated by being part of the in crowd or not, not by need.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”