Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

I have been found out

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
whathappened

I have been found out

Postby whathappened » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:39 am

I was recently diagnosed with schizophrenia. I thought the press were following me and the other day some friends turned up on my doorstep and said they think I am unwell. I am now worried that I have been found out as I was quite vocal about my delusions. I have not told them about the diagnosis as there is a lot of stigma to it.

Drac0

Re: I have been found out

Postby Drac0 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:13 pm

I think your friends turning up concerned you're unwell could be a good thing. It shows they care.

You may not want them to know, but without knowledge they can't be there to give you the help & support you need & which they seem willing to give. I don't know how close these friends are, but if you can, trying to talk to them about your problems may be a good thing, increasing the base of support you have.

But if you do talk to them, prepare first to be sure they get the real picture, of you & mental illness. You need to get them away from the stereotype if you can. It will make it better if you can. The stigma continues because most people don't understand mental illness & only knowledge can change that.

Cheers.

kasskaa11

Postby kasskaa11 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:51 pm

hiya,

i would tell them also.....

theres nothing shameful about being unwell..

bless em they must have been concerned, you may put their minds at rest xoxo

i hid my condition from everyone, even the medics for over 25yrs, it was different then, it really was shameful back then.... when i attempted suicide my parents were going to move house in case people found out????!!!!!

anniexoxox

whathappened

Postby whathappened » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:49 pm

I have managed to hide my illness for 10 years from the doctors they just kept giving me antidepressants. I only recently got a diagnosis.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”