Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Unpopular Opinion

If you're new and want to say hello...
wils95

Unpopular Opinion

Postby wils95 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:57 pm

Mental Health problems should have been cured before cancer.

38.4% of Brits are diagnosed with cancer in a lifetime.
48.6% of Brits will experience a mental health problem in their lifetime.

Approximately 360,000 cancer diagnoses are made panum uk
I could not find the same equivalent statistics for mental health.

Isn't this backwards considering 75% of cancer cases effect those aged 55+?
So essentially were trying to promote an increased life expectancy over overall life quality?

So whilst many people sit at home who will suffer in excess of 80 years with a condition that can seriously hamper their quality of life, cancer sufferers can expect to have their condition resolved as 75% of cancer cases are now fully treated with this expected to increase too almost 100% in the next decade?

I havent even gone into the further economic, social and environmental benefits of resolving mental health problems.
Additionally, curing mental health problems doesnt just stand to increase the general wellbeing of the population, or you could say 'right a wrong' like cancer, but further our understanding of the mind and potentially increase each individual's capacity and capability?

The mind is our greatest asset yet it's totally f***ing neglected by... well almost everyone?

wils95

Re: Unpopular Opinion

Postby wils95 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:03 pm

Oh and the funding and research differences are pretty upsetting too. No wonder so many feel alone and isolated.

ursula

Re: Unpopular Opinion

Postby ursula » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:40 pm

Thays a very clever thought.
My mother died of stage 4 pancreatic camcer 11 months struggle. She had never really been ill. I have been mentally ill for a long time. 1 day she called me to her room and said so beautifully. My darling i have never really understood you. But today standing here with no choice other than to take this medication (all one hundred and ten thousand pounds worth of chemotherapy) i finally understand you. She then said why is everyone being so nice to me but when you had a breakdown they wrrent to you. It felt like a real breakthrough. And although others may see your comment as maybe controversial i think its entirely logical i thankyou for this post best wishes word warrior

Return to “Newbies Room”