Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Depressed or Lazy?

If you're new and want to say hello...
lukas

Depressed or Lazy?

Postby lukas » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:59 am

I want to give anyone reading this a full background and history so you can hopefully better answer my question (The question isn't only whether I'm 'Depressed or Lazy?' but also what should I do to progress/get better) Its going to be in 4 sections: Childhood, Drugs, Current situation and Current emotions

Childhood
My childhood was rather basic; nothing out of the ordinary. I had a normal family and the only thing that's worth taking note of was some physical abuse from my grandfather who hit me a few times as punishment (I was very young. And where I lived, it was acceptable) I experienced some bullying but it wasn't too bad. When I was 7 I moved from Lithuania to the UK and from here on I always felt like a misfit and had a lot of trouble adapting . I tried to socialize with other kids and join in with activities/clubs but people never accepted me and once that happened I stopped trying and rather started to take comfort in video games and never had motivation to socialize (I'm introverted). And after that the problem started and I would never want to go anywhere, which then led me onto developing social anxiety (My dad has always had it so it probably wasn't the main cause). My parents never had a reason to be disappointed in me because overall I was quite smart.

Drugs
When I was 14-15 I started getting heavily into drugs, it started off with weed and alcohol, and before I knew it I was binging ecstasy every weekend. However, this wasn't the worst of it because I later developed an addiction to prescriptions like xanax and hydrocodone (This all happened in the span of 2 years). During this time period I nearly died twice which is why my parents decided to send me to various mental health professionals but because the system is so poorly funded I never managed to get a proper diagnosis for why I was the way I was. But I did get to talk plentifully about my emotions: I understood from then on that most of my drug problems were a result of my social anxiety. I stopped seeing these therapists because every single time I spoke about my mental health, would feel an overwhelming amount of guilt shortly after (for no reason). Even now I still romanticize those times because,although I was depressed, I didn't feel the same issues that I feel now.

Current situation
Right now, I am doing the same thing I was doing in my childhood: playing video games. I'm not productive whatsoever, I want to do things but I can never get myself to do them . I want to make music when I'm about to fall asleep but when I wake up I feel drained again. Not willing to do anything. My social life is also practically non-existent and everyday I feel lonely as hell. On the other hand, I am completely sober.

Current emotions
I contemplate suicide, but would never be able to go through with it sober. I don't consider myself 'sad' but just 'not content with life' if that makes any sense. I do not cry very frequently since I never seem to be able to let go of my emotions; I don't necessarily 'bottle' my emotions since it feels like the lid is always closed and I cannot open it in order to let go. I always create a fantasy world in my head in order to battle the opposing one in my mind. This is most likely why I have always enjoyed games so much :/

If you have read this far I really appreciate it. Hope everyone has beautiful day.

katyia

Re: Depressed or Lazy?

Postby katyia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:57 pm

hi Lukas thanks

" My childhood was rather basic; nothing out of the ordinary "
so but were they like ' just work hard and dont talk about your feelings '
which is what my family is like
its very difficult to learn to express feelings as an adult
I think ive done quite a good job of it
im also aware that you are a man
and sometimes men find it even more difficult ?

hugs Katyia

ninja-badger

Postby ninja-badger » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:44 pm

Sounds like you haven't got much motivation to do anything radically different. It depends what you want I guess. We can all breeze through life, not being entirely satisfied but sort of semi satisfied. I could be wrong but this is how it sounds. As for the social anxiety, I totally get it. When I get hit with depression, social anxiety is always the biggest symptom for me. How old are you if you dont mind me asking?

lukas

Postby lukas » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:13 pm

ninja-badger wrote: How old are you if you dont mind me asking?

Sorry for the late reply but I am 18

lukas

Postby lukas » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:18 pm

katyia wrote:
im also aware that you are a man
and sometimes men find it even more difficult ?

Thank you for the reply Katyia,

True men often find it more difficult to let out emotions but thankfully I try my best to let mine out however there is still some stigma around it even with that being said. And yes my family is more work oriented and that does cause some problems since I have to speak to people apart from my own parents regarding my emotions.

katyia

Postby katyia » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:27 pm

hi Lukas

well good for you and actually its coming into fashion these days
I always watch Russell Brand's videos on YouTube
he has addressed a lot of issues about insecurities and stuff
and seems really comfortable with it as a man

work oriented family , tell me about it !

most people dont have the courage to look at their feelings
so you are brave about it

Return to “Newbies Room”