SANE Support Forum

Struggling to like myself

If you're new and want to say hello...
sb190

Struggling to like myself

Postby sb190 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:21 pm

Hi all,
Hope you are all well.
This is my first time reaching out for help - I quite simply hate myself at the moment. My insecurities and anxiety have led me to becoming a controlling partner and this is pushing my boyfriend to breaking point. I don’t know what to do. I’ve looked online for advice but it all just makes me so upset and I’m struggling to even read that I need to “relax” and “stop worrying” about things because I don’t know how to do that.
My partner is currently in the other room after our most recent quabble and I’m sat going over and over and over and over how much I dislike myself.

Please help - please, if you’ve been in this situation yourself please tell me how I can fix it.

rach476

Re: Struggling to like myself

Postby rach476 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:19 am

Hi

I don’t think it’s a matter of fixing it per say, I have suffered badly with anxiety and little self worth for a long time and it really does help talking it through with your partner, being completely open and honest and I know it’s a thousand times easier said than done, if you need that extra reassurance talking it through really does help, also if you have any nice or meaningful messages from your partner re reading them may help to calm you down slightly.

Focus yourself if you feel like your anxiety is taking over, talking to a non biased person may also help if you can’t face councilling.

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:54 am

Well using this forum is a start point

What is it you argue about - a specific example and whom said what
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

sb190

Postby sb190 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:13 pm

Thank you for the supportive response.

I struggle to talk about it but have managed to pen him a letter which he can read and digest at his own leisure. I’m an emotional speaker and my emotions often take over.

He’s amazing and supportive and kind and understanding and I know he loves me but I still just can’t seem to relax and stop myself overthinking and worrying.

Some of the controlling comes from my career, I am in a leadership role and often bring some of my work behaviours home, which I shouldn’t. But the rest is just from pure panic of losing him and thinking he’ll find someone better than me.

I plan to start keeping my own “diary” and recording how things have made me feel and what I’m proud of and not so proud of. Hopefully this will help.

Fingers crossed.

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:33 pm

Ah - nothing like a plan and sounds good

Also consider email as your way of communicating - it might sound strange but it works differently

Good luck with everything and keep us posted
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

Return to “Newbies Room”