Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Back again!

If you're new and want to say hello...
tofler

Re: Back again!

Postby tofler » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:28 pm

Hi teamn and thanks for your kind words, they're very much appreciated! I'm doing ok today so far, thanks for asking. I've been out to do some food shopping and also bought myself a new vacuum cleaner (much needed in my house!) and a wellbeing magazine which I hadn't heard about before until I saw it mentioned on Twitter recently. It's called "In the Moment" (so I guess that mindfulness is going to feature quite prominently in it). It's a long time since I've bought any magazines though so I was a bit shocked by the price of it, £6!! Hopefully I'll get one or two useful ideas from it though!

In relation to what you've said about therapy and groups, I think it's important to feel comfortable with a therapist or group in order to be able to open up, confront difficult things and put the work in. I didn't feel at all comfortable with the telephone therapy that I had recently and found it quite patronising and very impersonal. It was making things worse for me so I brought it to an abrupt finish. Hopefully I'll have better luck with the peer support group that I've found since ending the telephone therapy.

Anyway, enough of me waffling on, I hope you're having a good day today?

teamn

Postby teamn » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:44 pm

You’re definitely not waffling, thanks for sharing the name of the magazine sound like it may be useful, personally not found magazines useful so let me know.

I’m just inbetween cooking at present, then off to m aunts house who deceased as it’s her birthday abd sins are having small gathering to remember and celebrate her life.

That’s all for me, still got charge so making a concerted effort to respond and check posts today as much as time allows.

maisi

Postby maisi » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:28 pm

Hi tofler,

Sounds like you've managed quite a few things this weekend, and also like you're staying mentally proactive, I'm sure that's a really good approach. All these day to day efforts probably help in a deeper way too. I've found it helpful to think of my small efforts as all adding up and contributing together. I'm kind of ok, thanks- a lot better than a week or so ago, with anxiety that I've been able to manage a bit better, but including by avoiding thoughts and memories, and being spaced out sometimes, so it's not a solution but surely stability is a good start. I'll be getting back to weekly therapy this week- I can't wait, but it makes me nervous too.

I agree you've got to get on ok with any therapist, counsellor or group, or I just don't see how it could help. I doubt there needs to be a really amazing connection though, so long as they know what they're doing and you're in the right frame of mind to work on your issues. There's one person who works on a phone support line and I don't know what it is but there's no point me trying to talk to them.

(Continue to) Take care of , Maisi

maisi

Postby maisi » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:29 pm

Doh, missed out the word 'yourself'!

ivy

Postby ivy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:09 am

Hey tofler,

Welcome back! I joined the forum at the beginning of the year and it seemed quiet, it seems to have busy periods and quiet periods.

Sorry to hear that you still have depression, but you sound really positive!

Don’t give in to it! You are much stronger than it and can push through! Look after yourself and do things that make you happy or do things for yourself. Go for a walk or maybe make some brownies or have a nice bath or anything you like, it doesn’t have to be big or expensive just something for your self, you deserve it!

Be prepared for winter... or seems like the sun is going away and the rain is coming, that doesn’t help with depression. I’ll be around on here once a week or so :)

Much love
X

maisi

Postby maisi » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:36 pm

Hi,

Hope you've been having an alright week. I'm in my usual changeable state, but it was great to have a therapy session after a break.

Take care (and can I borrow your hoover, mine's a pain)

Maisi

tofler

Postby tofler » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:30 am

Hi teamn, very sorry to hear about losing your aunt and I hope the get together at her house on her birthday went ok and wasn't too upsetting for everyone?

tofler

Postby tofler » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:42 am

Hi maisi, I agree with what you've said about small efforts all adding up and contributing together to make a difference. I often find it difficult to motivate myself (especially with things like cooking, cleaning, going for a walk etc), but the more of these that I actually manage to do, the better I start to feel. I think it's to do with being proactive and trying to fight back against depression and also to do with trying to feel like a "functioning adult" rather than feeling like someone who gets overwhelmed by the simplest of things. Don't get me wrong, I don't manage to do this everyday but I try not to beat myself up too much on the days when I'm struggling.

Good to hear that you've been back to therapy after a break this week and I hope it was helpful for you and not too challenging?

tofler

Postby tofler » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:55 am

Hi ivy, thanks for posting, it's good to hear from you. I agree, it's very important that we try to do things we enjoy on a regular basis. On the days when I go to work I often don't manage to do this because I'm too tired to do much by the time I get home from work, although I do try to get outside and go for a walk at lunchtime depending on how busy work is. I really don't like winter and tend to struggle more at that time of year, due to the lack of daylight. It often feels like I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark during the winter and this seems to increase how lonely I feel at times. Fingers crossed that I might cope with this winter a bit better though!

I hope you're doing ok and that things are going well for you?

sammy

Postby sammy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:57 pm

Hi tofler, would like to just say thanks for the help you offered the other day when I was talking about going back to uni. I'm back now and although there have been some down days over this first week, overall it's looking more positive.

I'm wishing you all the best with your aims of getting over this episode, and that I'm always here to chat to if you'd like. I think this forum is pretty good at the moment, but thanks for making it better. Best wishes x

Return to “Newbies Room”