Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Just come back from docs

If you're new and want to say hello...
gemclare

Just come back from docs

Postby gemclare » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi there,
I've just come back from a doctors appointment. I've been on sertraline since last August (for anxiety and depression) and I wanted to start reducing my dosage from 100mg to 50mg. The doctor was lovely and she 're assessed me. She told me however that the results of my assessment was still high and she was not willing to reduce my dosage. She said my answers and even my body language suggested I was still anxious. She wants to 're assess in 6 to 8 weeks time.
As lovely as she was I came out feeling deflated and questioning myself. I do feel like I'm alot better than I was. But now I feel like a failure. I don't want to be dependent on these forever, at the same time I am scared to go back to where I was. I'm so confused. I guess by the way I'm feeling she was right :(

andthistoomustpass

Re: Just come back from docs

Postby andthistoomustpass » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:39 am

Hi

If the meds are helping then I would stick with them, particularly if there are no negative side effects.
Have you been offered any counselling?

vitasw

Postby vitasw » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:41 am

Hi gemclare,

I agree with andthistoomustpass. Unless you are having some negative side effects then I wouldn't worry about rushing to reduce your dosage. It may seem like a long time but 8ish months isn't that long for SSRI's. I think there's often a pressure (maybe from stigma around mental health medication?) to reduce or eventually come off of medication even if it is having a positive effect. We wouldn't put that pressure on people with non-mental health medical conditions so don't put that pressure on yourself.

It can be a common thing that people want to reduce their dosage or come off the medication because they are feeling better (because of the medication) and then they see a worsening in symptoms and it can take a while for the medication to start being effective again. I imagine your doctor is wary of this and has your best interests at heart.

You are definitely not a failure for using or staying on medication, I think it shows great strength that you're taking steps to look after yourself and have a better life.

Let us know how you are getting on

All the best, V

Isap

Postby Isap » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:00 pm

Hi there

Coming off medication prematurely was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made. The depression came back after a few months and when I went back on the same medication as beefore, it didn't work. This is apparently quite common and nobody knows why that happens. It can then be tough trying to find s new one that works and in the process you just work yourself up into s state of despair.

I have resigned myself to being on medication for ever. I have read that people who have s second depressive episode are best off doing this.

I'm jealous of your good doctor. For certain reasons I don't have a doctor at all right now

Isap

casper1

Postby casper1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:05 pm

hi, I am new hear but suffered depression for over 40 years on and off.
please don't rush coming off your medication, it is great your feeling much better, but you have worked so hard to get to this stage. i'm very impressed with your doctor she has reassessed you and feels you are not quite ready to come off them. please listen to her. small steps is what it takes. is the medication making you feel unwell? like i say small steps, please take care, and well done for getting into a better place. x

Return to “Newbies Room”