Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Hello! Grateful for some pointers

If you're new and want to say hello...
elleteejay

Hello! Grateful for some pointers

Postby elleteejay » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:13 am

Hi all

I’ve never joined an online support group so apologies if this sounds daft!
I know that I’m withdrawing from most aspects of life and living in a bubble due to my anxiety and depression. It’s all stemmed from arthritis and chronic pain. I can kinda ‘deal’ with the physical aspects but after a relapse I’m not able to look after my mental health properly. I am normally motivated to help myself but I’m slipping away from all control. I have been signed off work (teacher) and feel such shame and guilt. I am waiting for help from an intervention mental health team but because I’m not in crisis, I don’t feel hopeful that they’re going to help me. I know I conceal how I feel and may be teetering on the edge of crisis. I really don’t want to go back to those feelings. I would be so grateful if someone could point in the direction of any thing that’s helped them and which of the SANE rooms thy have found helpful.

I’m sorry if I sound naive but appriciate anyone who reads this.

Thank you

Isap

Re: Hello! Grateful for some pointers

Postby Isap » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:42 am

Hi LTJ

I'm a teacher too. Depression and anxiety are extremely common in our profession and getting worse.

Don't assume the MH team will be no help. Are you on medication? If you are and it's not helping, get it changed. Ask for s referral to a psychiatrist and to therapy, CBT or ACT if you can get the latter.

Here are some good self help books.

The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris
Feeling Good by David Burns
Hope and Help for your Nerves by Claire Weekend
DARE by Barry McDonagh

If you can get motivated to start mindfulness, that really helps but takes time
www.freemindfulness.org

Or the Headspace App which costs

This forum is really quiet at the moment because so many of us are in a bad way

Isap

elleteejay

Postby elleteejay » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:06 pm

Hi Isap

Thank you so much for your reply and advice. I’m sorry to hear that so many on the forums are in a bad way.

I’m really grateful for all you have suggested: I’ll get looking into the books today. I’m trying to cling onto the idea that the Mental Health team may be able to help too. My GP would like them to look at my medication as, as you suggested, they’re not making much of a difference. All the services seem so stretched and I don’t want to add to them.

Thanks for sharing about your job: it really helps the isolated feeling and I’m hoping that I’ll be able to support others as part of recovery.

Hoping I can contribute to this community and start to break out of my bubble. Thanks again for your ideas. LTJ

Isap

Postby Isap » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:17 pm

Hi LTJ

I'm glad I could be of help. Yes, MH services are stretched but you are as important a patient as anyone else so don't feel guilty. These days unfortunately you have to be pushy to get things done and people with MH problems often don't have the energy to push. Hopefully you have an understanding friend or relative who can push for you if it ever becomes necessary.

One thought that just occurred to me re. medication if you always use the same pharmacy is to go and speak to the pharmacist. They are always pleased to help and know far more about medication than doctors do. They'd know that if med X isn't working, which would be a good one to try next. Then you can show the MH team you've done your homework.

Isap x

vitasw

Postby vitasw » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi elleteejay,

Welcome to the forum! Your post doesn't sound daft at all.

If you haven't done so already it might be good for you think about what to do if do have a crisis situation. Mind has a lot of helpful resources here: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-sup ... rTubIjFI2w

You could even write down a basic plan e.g. "Step 1 - call friend/family; Step 2 - Call Samaritans ..." and have it on hand somewhere. It might help you feel more prepared now and in the event of a crisis, you'll have something to refer to if you are feeling overwhelmed.

I think it can be helpful when you are low to have a very basic daily plan (particularly when you are off work and don't have that structure). A checklist of things as simple as 1) Shower, 2) Put on clean comfortable clothes, 3) Go outside (even just for a minute).

I'd advise you to try and be as kind to yourself as possible, imagine if someone else (friend/loved one/colleague) was having this experience, what would you say to them? What do you think they would need?

Hope to see you back here again.

all the best,
V

elleteejay

Postby elleteejay » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:06 am

Thanks again Isap - I’ll ask my pharmacist about medication options.

Hi V

Thanks you also for replying and you’re advice. It is appreciated. After looking at MIND from your suggestion, I noticed that my local centre have a library and someone I can speak to on the day. I’ll be going down there this week so thank you for the suggestion. It has made me feel like there are options in the interim.

The plan/checklist idea is really helpful too - I understand it’s a symptom but I find it hard to speak to those around me as I worry about being a burden and feel guilty as I have lots to be thankful for. I would want my friend to speak to me if they were struggling so need to take my own advice! I think what I find hardest at the moment is feeling out of control (and unplanned, which goes against my normal working life which is full of plans and back ups!) so having a list that I can check off sounds really useful.

Thank you again - hope I can be of help to you and others in these forums. Just having a few people who understand has really lifted me from complete panic.

LTJ

Isap

Postby Isap » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:31 am

Hi LTJ

B's advice is really good. Despite the fact this forum is very quiet, the replies you get are always very good and complement each other. I have been on other MH sites where you might get replies which contradict, as well as "generic" replies without any genuine empathy.

Feeling you might lose control doesn't mean you will, in fact it's extremely unlikely. It's just caused by a distorted anxious thought with no basis in reality.

I don't have the link but if you Google Junior Anxiety Claire Weekes, you will get 4 very good talks on anxiety and depression and panic and what to do about it. Total listening time is about 70 minutes but well worth it.

Take care

Isap x

Return to “Newbies Room”