Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

If you're new and want to say hello...
m3chap

Postby m3chap » Tue May 10, 2016 12:49 pm

I wanted to say hello and that I've just joined.

I've had depression on and off for about 15 years and I am at a low point right now - Drs appointment booked for Thursday.

The depression has contributed to the breakdown of my relationship and I am currently having counselling however I don't think the counselling is working for me. Im struggling to see how me talking about my issues is making me any better prepared to cope going forward. Im at session 7 of 12 and feel like I hit rock bottom last weekend. I had to wait 5 months for these sessions .

Luckily I'm surrounded by friends - however at times i feel really isolated. I suspect when I see the doctor he will prescribe anti depressants again and its not a course of action i want to take. I can do the rational argument of replacing chemicals in my brain however the side effects I've had previously made me feel bad too. Absolutely no sex drive etc and I don't want that again as that doesn't exactly help either. If the doctor wants to prescribe tablets I know I don't want citalopram again and having to deal with the side effects. I'm really hoping there might be some suggestions out there regarding a way forward.

Lou83

Re: New member

Postby Lou83 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:25 pm

Hi there,

I'm sorry for what you are going through. I'm glad you have friends around you (even if it doesn't [i]always[i] help).

I'm not sure what suggestions I can give, as at the moment I am on medication and counselling. The counselling is tough, needing to talk about things that resulted to this point in the first place. But I am just perservering with it hoping at some point I will see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to help, just wanted you to know that you are not alone on here.

Lou

m3chap

Postby m3chap » Tue May 10, 2016 9:39 pm

Thanks Lou for your reply. Best wishes too.

butyouseemso

Postby butyouseemso » Wed May 11, 2016 2:39 pm

Hi
I've been through many different medications and I can tell you some work better than others and some have little or no side effects where some are just horrible. Don't accept being put back on citalopram if it didn't work before - ask for a different one, and give it a chance.

It seems to me the same is true with counselling. Having a good connection with the counsellor matters - much more than whether they claim to practice CBT or mindfulness or hypnotherapy or something else. Unfortunately, we don't get an unending supply through the NHS so it's not as easy to try different ones until one clicks.
The flip side of that is sometimes therapy does need to take us through difficult issues so it's hard to say one approach is wrong.

Hope it begins to work for you.

Return to “Newbies Room”