Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

psychotic son, help

If you're new and want to say hello...
distressedmum

psychotic son, help

Postby distressedmum » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:43 pm

I would like to hear from other parents of young adults dealing with psychosis. I have a 22 yr old son who is very paranoid. On risperidone for 10 days now, still having major problems. Please tell me this gets better as I am out of my mind with worry and grief.

umbrella4therain

Re: psychotic son, help

Postby umbrella4therain » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:27 am

Hello. I just wanted to welcome you and acknowledge what a stressful time this must be for you. Everyone has different experiences. I think alot of people here have times when they are worse and times when they are better and it sounds like your son is going through a bad patch at the moment, it doesnt mean it will always be this way. I hope others will be able to chip in with their experiences. I am sorry to hear your family is going through this. I have been a great source of worry to my parents, especially when I first became involved with mental health services when I myself was on risperidone but my relationships with my family have improved alot since then and I think they find it easier to cope with now and know they dont need to worry as much. Everybody is different but it is good you are reaching out for support. If you have any specific difficulties people here will usually try to offer advice and empathy if you just need to vent. I hope you find this a supportive space and that things start to improve for you and your son shortly. take care. xxx

distressedmum

Postby distressedmum » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:31 pm

that's really kind of you to reply, I appreciate it more than I can say. I hope some parents will reply too. I feel very alone, I have kind friends but we live in a small community, and I'm not sure I want everyone to know my business, I'm not sure anyone can know what it is like to hear your son say people are out to kill him and you realise he is so totally in it, he really believes it. I reassure him and stay calm, but inside my heart is breaking and I feel I can't bear it any longer. I wonder why him? Why us? Life is cruel.

umbrella4therain

Postby umbrella4therain » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:29 am

http://www.mind.org.uk/help/im_worried_ ... meone_else

http://www.rethink.org/carers-family-fr ... or-parents

http://www.carers.org/help-directory/me ... conditions

http://www.nhs.uk/CarersDirect/guide/me ... ealth.aspx

http://www.mentalhealthcare.org.uk/

Im not sure if any of these links will be helpful for you but thought I would share them just in case. It must be so difficult for you. I hope you can get some support to help you both through this. Dont forget that the first rule of looking after others is to look after yourself so try to be extra kind to yourself and make sure you get some "you time". Take care. xxx

distressedmum

Postby distressedmum » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:53 pm

Thank you again; your kindness touches me. Kindness is the only good thing in life atm. I take on board what you say about myself. Yeah, myself is in big need right now. Anyway...I don't want to pressure you so don't answer if it's too much or too intrusive. Anyone else reading, your views appreciated too - I really need your help. My son tells me about his auditory, and then tonight, visual hallucinations. How can I best help him? If you have ever shared yours, what's been the most helpful support when you are actually experiencing it, and afterwards?

caz

Postby caz » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:34 pm

hi.....it might be best if you post int he mutual room where you are likely to get more feedback and advice about your son as its a busy room the mutual room xx

i hear voices have done since i was 15years old ....i am now 40 (41 tomorrow) i didnt tell anyone till i was 29years old ...i kept it secret till mum died when i was 29 and i couldnt cope without the support of my mum so went the drs and all hell broke loose....i was out in hospital and put on medication for the voices

you son will be fightened as i am fightened of my voices....i also see things when i am really unwell but dont notice until someone tells me or asks me
you are doing the right thing by being there for your son but remember as your his carer you need to look after yourself too
is there anyway that you can ask his psychiatrist if there is a hearing group he could attend so that he knows hes not alone in all of this......i thought i was the only one who heard voices until i went to a hearing voices group and there were other people there and i realised i wasnt alone......sadly the hearing voices group stopped as not enough numbers and the nearest one is 29 miles away which is too far for me

i think your son would benefit the hearing voices group sessions if theres one by you as he can understand more and that hes not alone....hes lucky to have you to care for him xxxhugsxxx
“The darkness that surrounds us cannot hurt us.
It is the darkness in your own heart you should fear."

Where there's a way out.....I will find it!!!!

distressedmum

Postby distressedmum » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:17 pm

thanks Caz for personal story xx and laso for idea re mutual room - i'll take a look. I've found stuff about hearing voices group. Unfortunately atm son is not interested - I guess he is so new to all this and a bit freaked at the idea of going so public. Thank you tho for the head up

Return to “Newbies Room”