Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Hi all.

If you're new and want to say hello...
cd

Hi all.

Postby cd » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:38 am

Hello all,
I've been periodically visiting the site for months but have always been too hesitant to join, until today!
I suffer from debilitating phobic anxiety and depression. Depression and germophobia/mysophobia have been the proverbial soundtrack of my life, but they really took over about 4 years ago - when I was in my mid-twenties. Being the 'strong, silent' type I foolishly avoided reaching out for help until about 2 years ago, when life simply became unbearable. (I really should have sought help 15 years ago when it first became apparent that depression and anxiety could quite literally take control of my life .... Alas, I didn't.) Frankly, despite stints on various meds, and over a year in CBT, I remain stuck in the quagmire, however, I am now at least prepared to accept that I suffer from an 'illness', and to discuss it openly and frankly. I've spent the past 2 years pretty much dedicated to independent research and, as a consequence, I am well-informed vis-a-vis psychiatry and meds, but recently I decided to take a step back from the constant researching and article-reading, and I do feel slightly better as a result; it was, I think, becoming counter-productive.
Anyway, I've rambled ... Apologies!

cd

Re: Hi all.

Postby cd » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:52 pm

Many thanks, Sally. Yes, germophobia is a debilitating fear of germs. (Mysophobia is the actual medical term for the illness.) Often, as in my case, the illness leads to a fear to come into contact with anything from the outside world, and, thus, agoraphobia.
There are so few useful online resources, such as active forums etc.
Indeed, if anybody can point me in the direction of any useful online communities for anxiety and depression suffers I'd be very grateful.
Thanks for reading.

Alan

Re: Hi all.

Postby Alan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:34 pm

CD,
welcome aboard!
the fact that you posted after a while of watching (I did the same) means you're not quite so stuck in the quagmire as you were I guess...
Anxiety and depression is something we're all familiar with here, it's unfair, illogical, confusing and enormously frustrating ...... I guess we're all at the point where we can't ignore it any more....
My way of dealing with it ended up with me becoming way too isolated .... this forum has been a godsend, everyone's problems are very different and specific, but oftentimes there's enough common ground to feel understood and supported by your peers (first time in years for me!) ....
A long winded way of saying Hi

Alan

Return to “Newbies Room”