Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

meditation and depression?

If you're new and want to say hello...
danheath16

Re: meditation and depression?

Postby danheath16 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi,

first of all welcome, I don't suffer from depression but from schizophrenia and i find meditation is a real help with like calming down and just feeling refreshed. The easiest way to meditate is to light a candle and sit and look at the way the flame moves, this makes you really relaxed.

Hope this helps

Daniel

LadyKeldana

Postby LadyKeldana » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:33 pm

Last time i tried to meditate, it actually made everything worse. i couldn't empty my mind, and instead everything just rose to the surface and i ended up in a pretty bad place, mentally. but i know it can work well for others, everyone is different.

nikgreenwood

Postby nikgreenwood » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:31 pm

I tend to find that Meditating for Depression does not work. However meditating to help relieve Anxiety does. It is as people have said before sometimes counter productive and you end up getting yourself into a right todo because you can't seem to meditate or at least you feel that you are not.

I also use Progressive Muscle relaxation, this is also very similiar to meditating, and can help release the stresses of the day, and to also relax the muscles and in itself relax the body and mind.

Maybe just a nice bath, with some music, as cliche as it sounds can be as much meditative in itself, and possible all you need, then afterwards just watch tv, read a book etc.

Try not to focus so much on the I must meditate to alleviate my depression etc, more just make it part of your day. A nice walk through town, along the beach can just be as therapeutic.

As my CPN would say, just nurture yourself!

Hope this helps a bit, or maybe it doesn't at all, just my 2pence on the matter. lol

Cheers, Nik
:D

nic304

Postby nic304 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:14 pm

I suffer from generalized anxiety, but that also tends to lead to depression.
I have meditated quite a lot and have found it really helpful. Like most people, I find it really difficult to quieten my mind and there have been times when my inner critic would tell me that I was hopeless because I couldn't even meditate properly. Fortunately I have now learnt to relax a bit more and when my mind wanders onto unhelpful thoughts, I just gently and compassionately redirect it. The type of meditation that I use is called 'Mindfulness of Breathing'. It's pretty simple really. Normally starts with a body scan (just running your mind over your body and relaxing) and then focusses on the breath. It's used widely by Buddhists (I am one), but it is not really a religious thing. There are some great resources on the web and many guided meditation mp3s. I am happy to recommend some, but as I am new to this site I want to be careful not to do anything that could be construed as pushing a particular religion. Let me know if you want me to recommend guided meditations.
Although meditation is definitely an important part of my attempt to manage mental health issues and I think that it could help many people, I would agree that it may not be the best approach for some conditions.
I've also started doing some intense exercise and I am trying to get myself out of the house. When I'm feeling depressed, staying in and feeling bad is the worst thing I can do.

Nic

Return to “Newbies Room”