Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Overwhelmed

Sometimes you just need to let off steam...
littlejo

Overwhelmed

Postby littlejo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:08 pm

I was living in Intensive Enablement (supported housing) staffed 24/7 for 3 years. Recently, around 6 weeks ago I had to move into my own council flat and moved to a new area. I now only have 9 hours of care a week. I feel like people have set me up to fail. Also, mental health services have done nothing for me in the last 6 weeks. Meant to be meeting my new CPN from the team on Tuesday. I'm really anxious and also feel angry with services that I've just been left to deal with all this for 6 weeks practically on my own.

I also came off medication due to side effects and haven't told anyone. I've been off it for over a week and have been becoming more suicidal. I feel like I've run out of options as I've tried so many other medications which haven't worked before.

I feel lonely, hopeless, anxious and down.

Any support would be greatly appreciated.

maisi

Re: Overwhelmed

Postby maisi » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:26 pm

Hi there,

That's a lot of changes recently and a big reduction in support, and it's bound to be shaking you up. On the other hand it is fantastic that you were able to leave staffed accommodation and get a flat, that must mean really good progress. I'm sorry I'm not v experienced with MH systems (apart from the unbelievably long waits bit), but I'd bet my life they're v overstretched and leave people with not enough support due to this. 6 weeks with virtually nothing, straight after 24/7 staffed housing is a long wait just to meet a CPN, must've been tough. Is there anyone who can help you fight for your needs? Not sure it's a great idea to stop the meds suddenly and not tell anyone, in fact that's probably really important to discuss asap. If for any reason you don't see the CPN, could you let them know anyway and/or your GP?

This is a good place to chat when you're lonely/anxious/depressed/angry, and a good place for advice sometimes, keep typing here, and hopefully someone more experienced with MH systems will see your post and offer more practical advice. What meds have you just stopped, what dose, and how long were you on them?

Take care, I hope you reply, and I hope Tuesday helps- are you confident to say what you need from community MH?

Maisi

littlejo

Postby littlejo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:40 pm

Thanks so much for your reply.

I guess so it's just I'm usually seen weekly by a CPN.

I guess my mum could help fight for my needs but my support worker is coming to the appt Tuesday. I'm not sure how helpful they'll be with fighting my corner.

It's just difficult cause I don't know the GPs/mental health team/CPN and they don't know me.

Ah thank you.

I have stopped:

Aripiprazole 15mg once a day
Buspirone 10mg three times a day
Olanzapine 5mg once a day

I've been on and off meds for years but I went back on those ones in July this year.

maisi

Postby maisi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:27 am

Hi littlejo, I'm so glad you replied! Loads of people just post once. Yeah I imagine it's really hard having such a big change in your situation and having to get your help from totally new people- you don't know yet if they're helpful, sympathetic, have a good enough work ethic to actually help, etc. so right now must feel alone with it. I hope they're good, or some of them are, and you end up having decent support as you get to know them. If it could be helpful for your Mum to come on Tuesday as well, why not? Now is an important time if you're handling huge changes.

I don't know about meds (couldn't accept my prescription, but am having therapy though so getting regular help) but am concerned you've stopped 3 suddenly. I know you know about this best and I wouldn't dream of making up any advice on that, but it's got to be part of the picture, surely, and your mh team should know?

Hope to hear how it's going next week,

Maisi

littlejo

Postby littlejo » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:54 pm

Hi thanks again for your reply and thanks for understanding. I find it hard to trust people. My mum can't come because she's working.

I don't know best really. I told my support worker today about the meds. I haven't met the mental health team yet. I meet the new CPN tomorrow. My support worker and I will probably talk to the CPN about the meds situation tomorrow. Feeling really anxious about it and just hoping that the CPN is caring and understanding and helpful.

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:06 am

It seems like to many changes at once

Which makes things tougher

Maybe to late now - but I would have stuck with the meds until settled in at my new place for a few months

Keep us posted
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

maisi

Postby maisi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:53 am

Good luck today, I hope you can get across that you need more regular support

littlejo

Postby littlejo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Thanks. Yeah I guess it was too many changes at once. Didn't go great today. Feeling disappointed.

maisi

Postby maisi » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:36 pm

Sorry to hear it. What was the CPN like?

littlejo

Postby littlejo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:59 am

She just didn't listen. Kept interrupting me. Didn't seem to take much seriously. Not got another appt with her til 7th.

Return to “Rant Room”