Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Living with a partner with depression

Sometimes you just need to let off steam...
rjxx30

Living with a partner with depression

Postby rjxx30 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:09 pm

Hi everyone, I'm currently living with someone who has depression and I am really struggling to cope, he lies to me about silly things there's no. Need to lie about and completely ignores I am there doesn't talk to anyone or show any emotion affection or motivation to do anything at all it's driving me mad we have been together 9years and have two children who are also feel the miserable atmosphere, any advice at all on how I can help him and get things back on track would be great from anyone in my. Position or anyone suffering with depression. Thank u

capitalt

Re: Living with a partner with depression

Postby capitalt » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:07 am

Has he seen his GP and/or taking medication ?

Perhaps counselling or therapy would help him.

I know it's hard for him, depression can be very oppressive, going through it myself.

Good luck

rjxx30

Postby rjxx30 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:47 pm

Yes he has seen a gp and is in anti depressants but seems to think the tablets alone will make everything better without changing his life style (atm this is just work 60 hours a week, he is a head chef) I understand he has no motivation but how can I gently push him to take time out for himself my children are losing their dad a d me my relationship because of this horrible illness. Thank u for reply

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:26 pm

Hi rjxx,

Welcome!x

Much love <3
RSxo <3

mamaboom

Postby mamaboom » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:01 pm

First of all; you're not alone. I know how you feel.

When your partner is struggling so much it's hard not to feel like you owe it to him to change that. Here's the thing, though; you can't control much about the situation. You must feel beyond frustrated and possibly helpless. Truth is, no matter how much you do for him, it may never seem enough. Sometimes, the only thing you can do is be gentle and receptive. The more you try to get him to talk to you, the more defensive he'll get. All you can do is be there and be ready to listen. If he wants to talk, he'll talk. Otherwise, maybe just gently coax him to get out and do something with you or some friends, maybe try to figure out what He's be in the mood for and offer it. As the wiccans say "speak ye little, listen much". Hope this helps.

Return to “Rant Room”