Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Driving test and anxiety

Sometimes you just need to let off steam...
georgia97

Driving test and anxiety

Postby georgia97 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:56 pm

Hi, so I’m new to this and I’m not really sure how it all works if I’m honest. I feel a bit silly doing it too, but I need to rant and whether anyone is here to read it or cares to read it, I still feel like some how just writing it all down will help.

So today I took my driving test, the 5th one! And I failed again. I’m so so so angry about it because what she failed me for is a fucking joke!!! She failed me on being too far away from the curb on my parallel park, which I wasn’t even that far away from and in no way shape or form was it “dangerous” so I just feel like it was really unfair of her to literally only fail me on that! The rest of my drive was fine. Each time I come so close but get bullshitted out of passing.

I know it’s really not a big deal and it shouldn’t even bother me but driving is something I really want to do as once I can drive i feel it will really help with my mental health as it will make me slightly more motivated to actually go somewhere as it will be easier to get where I want to go. So anyway, I feel really rubbish that i failed again and if I’m honest I’ve been in a real mess because each time I take another test I get more anxious and it’s all too much. I suffer with depression and anxiety and the thought of doing another test is already making me feel sick. Today was the worst I’ve ever felt on the test because I’ve just been working myself up about it all, and I just can’t seem to keep myself calm throughout the test. I begin to go really hot, have trouble breathing, I feel physically sick and shake and sometimes I even cry. It’s all just so embarrassing and so frustrating because I can drive but my nerves get in the way. I’m just wondering if anyone would have any coping strategies? I’ve tried taking rescue remedy and it didn’t seem to work.

missflowers

Re: Driving test and anxiety

Postby missflowers » Sun May 27, 2018 2:40 pm

hi
i have never been able to drive as i would be too nervous ,i hope you pass your test in the end and other members will be able to advise
love Lu x
I used to be Lucretia on here
much love Lu xxxx

capitalt

Postby capitalt » Sun May 27, 2018 3:29 pm

I'm sure you'll pass next time as you now know your weak spots, parallel parking isn't easy for the best of us.
Perhaps see your GP and tell him you get anxiety, not neccesarily about your driving test, perhaps medication will help.
There are breathing exercises, meditation, mindfulness, etc.
When we're anxious we can hyperventilate which may cause the symptoms you're describing.
Also see if there is a MIND in your area, they may be able to help with counselling, or other advice.

Good luck.

scarredmum

Postby scarredmum » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm

I passed on my 9th attempt so don't give up! yes it is annoying not to mention expensive! there's a couple of things you can do 1) have your driving instructor in the car with you on your test.they can't help you or tell you what to do but they can offer support 2) try relaxation cos don't knock them until you've tried them. 3) speak to your gp sometimes they can prescribe short term things BUT it is up to you to make sure they don't effect your ability to drive. 4) rescue remady 5) make sure you've driven around that area a lot practise on all types of courners car for parking etc. Good luck you'll get there!

Return to “Rant Room”