Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Letter from GP

Sometimes you just need to let off steam...
feenix

Letter from GP

Postby feenix » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:23 am

Got the following letter from my GP following a psychiatrists report requesting monthly monitoring for anorexia, I also have an established diagnosis of personality disorder! I'm appalled, any thoughts people?

Dear Zoe
I have recieved an inevitable request from the mental health services to undertake frequent and extensive tests on your general well being. We will send you a list of weekly appointments for boot tests, blood pressure, pulse, temperature and ECG with, of course, a weigh in. This inevitably puts an additional pressure on the staff and hopefully we can comply with this. The sooner you get better, the sooner the need for such frequent testing can be reduced from weekly to fortnightly to monthly.
As I very bluntly intimated to you I know that some of these issues are out of your immediate control, but some aspects of this seem determined to catch the attention of the care agencies. I still find it difficult to believe that you have no ability to control this, while having been so capable in so many other aspects of your life. This is exactly the kind of burden that one doesn't need and I would ask you to do your level best to adjust your focus, concentrate on getting better as quickly as possible and then hopefully not move onto any other alternative area as a follow on to this. I suppose the label of personality disorder must be sadly the most appropriate one, as part of your modus operandi is to constantly throw us of balance. I do appreciate that these are hard words, but I have intimated them before. I really need you to make some effort to not be at the centre of successive mental health universes.
Yours with a sense of tiredness
Dr P

christabel

Re: Letter from GP

Postby christabel » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:28 pm

Any thoughts? Disgusting.

Best wishes Zoe so sorry to hear you've been subject to that.

Chris

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:11 pm

Any thoughts? The git should be brought up before the GMC. Complain! I'm sick of GPs who know nothing of Mental Health.

feenix

Postby feenix » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:29 am

Thanks for your support peeps. I have now written a formal complaint letter to the practise manager and asked to change GP's. I have been so upset and shocked by his attitude and lack of understanding, I think any trust I might have had is well and truly shattered!

mihaela

Postby mihaela » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:28 pm

Hi Zoe.
This kind of thing makes my blood boil. The same sort of thing is happening to me. There's a lot I want to say, but I'm very tired (got up at 2am, and only just found your post) so it'll have to wait until tomorrow. However, I must say one thing right now. Be very, very wary of that BPD diagnosis.

scotslassuk

Postby scotslassuk » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:34 am

That is absolutely disgusting!! I thought our G.Ps were bad!! I am patiently waiting on Monday coming around to contact my own surgery. My son aged 25yrs tried to take his own life last week, not for the first time but thankfully we got him in time. After being kept in hospital overnight for observation he was discharged as they took his word that he wouldn't do it again, and they would get his meds changed, a Cpn involved and any other help he needed! Well last night a stranger found my son in a bus stop and managed to stop him cutting his wrists! Thank god for that man! My son has been left with no medication for a week no help from anyone, went to see our GP yesterday who was just a stand in doctor, practically begged for help and was told "Pull yourself together!, nothing I can do until I hear from the hospital there's 180patients waiting on letters, so here's a prescription for amatryptaline come back in a week, as you can't be trusted with medication!" Who the hell tells someone who is clearly I'll, begging for help to "Pull yourself together?" This is meant to be a Medical Professional. I sympathise with you sweetie, but roll on Monday cause the shits gonna hit the fan when I call in!! Its a disgrace to be treated in such a manner!!

Return to “Rant Room”