Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Out of the frying pan into the fire.

Sometimes you just need to let off steam...
stressed

Out of the frying pan into the fire.

Postby stressed » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:22 pm

My brother has been on section for the last 9 weeks.

It's not just me who thinks my brother's behavior has become increasing more strange...probably not surprising given the circumstances.

He was supposed to be being discharged next Tuesday.

It's almost funny...he been sectioned and discharged almost to the exact day, for the last few years now..

Lack of funding, means he will receive minimal support if any.
Lack of commication all round has left me being caught unprepared.

He is in a cold flat, with no electricity, no food and no money.
I already heard his neighbours in the background asking for money.

Now I have to go round and sort this out, and I just don't know if I can take it anymore.

DC07

Re: Out of the frying pan into the fire.

Postby DC07 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:34 pm

if i were you Id get some legal help on this, if its a matter of neglect by services, if hes been sectioned on section 3 then he may be on a section 117 on discharge with is an aftercare order, he should have an adequate care plan and services in place to support him.
I'm not mad, I'm furious

belle

Postby belle » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:46 pm

I don't know the implications of this situation but maybe try the CAB to get some advice?
Please look after yourself in all this too.
I hope something shifts for you and your brother very soon.
xxx

stressed

Postby stressed » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:58 pm

Thanks guys, I'm feeling a lot better now.

I was sooo angry and frustrated when I wrote that post this morning..I think I even scared away the Jehovah's Witnesses this morning :oops: , but it wasn't intentional.

I guess my brother was overwhelmed as he had lots of things to get sorted.
But he did ( i'm so proud of him), as I know it's not always easy to get even simple things done...when your head isn't quite in the right place.
I think I just panicked, and got stressed, unneccessarily because I jumped to the wrong conclusion...that I would have to drop everything and sort everything else.

Fortunately my ever supportive partner, advised me to just stop and not do anything drastic.

I didn't rush over to my Brother's, and try and throw money at the situation.
I just got on with my original plans for the day.

I just telephoned my brother and he sounded fine...whereas this morning it all sounded rather chaotic. He has food, water and leccy now..so I don't have to worry that he is cold and hungry.

I calmly explained that I would find it difficult to visit him today, which he understood. He thanked me for my support, which meant a lot.

He didn't ask me for anything..only that I let the rest of the family know that he was back home.

I do plan to visit him soon, possibly tomorrow...and I will continue to fight for support from social services..which I believe he desperately believe he needs if he is to successfully live in the community.

belle

Postby belle » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:32 pm

I'm glad things are a little more positive.
Your brother is lucky to have someone so supportive in his life.
I hope he can stay well and please take care yourself.
xxx

stressed

Postby stressed » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:59 am

Just when I was being to feel more positive..

My Dad just rang..He was ranting about my brother's flat..saying he had no heating, a hole in the front door, and no means of heating water to wash either himself or do the washing up.

He was on the phone for 6 minutes..which is a epic phone conversation for my Dad.

He is going over to give my sister a hard time re. my brother's flat.
I asked him not to. She has a lot on her plate..it's not her fault and she goes out of her way to support my brother.

I pointed out that you wouldn't be allowed to rehome an animal in that flat..
I said I would try and find a current number for the outreach team, but it is difficult because it is a Sunday.

I am also getting concerned about my Dad's mental health..it is difficult to explain to my family as my Dad has always been a bit strange, and i'm worried that it will sweeped under the carpet with "it's just old age".
I can't talk to my Dad about it.

What worries me..is that if people aren't aware of a problem, it can't be sorted-out.
I tried for ages to get people to listen to my concerns about my brother...but I was just told time and time again.."it's o.k. he's just a typical teenager".

I can't help but think...that my brother's Schizophrenia wouldn't be so bad, if it had been diagnosed and managed earlier.

Return to “Rant Room”