Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

friendships and mental illness

Sometimes you just need to let off steam...
whathappened

friendships and mental illness

Postby whathappened » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:23 am

I went to a friends house recently and she was talking about someone she knew saying oh they were mentally ill they had to go into hospital. She thinks I suffer from depression I dont I have schizophrenia. If only she knew? Then we were watching a tv programme and she said oh she needs a psychiatrist. I have a psychiatrist? Some people are so ignorant. I am able to hold a conversation so I dont look ill when in reality I thought the tv was sending me special messages, and that I was being followed. I havent told anyone about my diagnosis because they would not understand there is such a stigma towards it.

Drac0

Re: friendships and mental illness

Postby Drac0 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:50 am

Can you blame her for what she says? She doesn't know what's going on if you haven't confided in her. Maybe you don't feel comfortable talking to her about your issues but she has no way of really understanding what goes on without knowing. All she can go on is what she is told & what the media feeds people.

Don't blame her for her ignorance when you, others & the media keep her in the dark about the realities of mental illness.

This isn't an attack on you, I know how hard it is to talk to even those we trust the most about our problems, just don't be too quick to blame her for what she doesn't understand.

Cheers.

Aisha85

Postby Aisha85 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi,

I understand how your insides feel like they are burning up with a sense of anger and hurt when someone you care about says something so insensitive and hurtful. However, if your friend knew what you were going through then im sure they wouldn't say such things. A lot of people know very little about certain things and will never learn as they wont have the need to untill/unless it comes into their life. Talk to your friend, open up, give them resources where they can read and learn in their own time.

Please be honest. It is unhelpful to your illness and your recovery/maintenance of being well to keep things hidden. With mental illness, you need plenty of love, support and care from people so please don't miss out on what could be a real source of comfort to you.

Hugs x

kasskaa11

Postby kasskaa11 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:28 pm

ditto

xoxox

whathappened

Postby whathappened » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:45 pm

thanks for your thoughts on this matter it is hard to open up and I feel like I am in a constant dilemma whether to tell people or not

kasskaa11

Postby kasskaa11 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:02 am

mental health is very scary if you havent been exposed to it... being open and honest with your mates [i feel] will be a make or break situation, i feel it will strengthen the bond, it may go the other way and some may run away in fear, thats a very common reaction...

good luck,

xoxoxo annie

Return to “Rant Room”