SANE Support Forum

Sunday Morning and the Mental Health Mountain

For a cuppa - and a chat...
betterinrecovery

Sunday Morning and the Mental Health Mountain

Postby betterinrecovery » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:30 am

Good morning,
and I hope you are reasonably well.
I have a reasonably steep mental health hill at the moment... it is a bit heavy going and has nothing to do with the books and magazines.

With the depressions it would be easy to turn around now and go straight back to bed...and stay there all day; that is where I am at.
I have read my fair share of CBT books and I have taken the online courses prescribed...

Chris Williams has a book - 'I don't feel like doing anything' (something like that) and I don't
it is all too, too much.

I am really feeling very rubbish.

One of the key themes in the book is activation ( the less you do the worse you feel), which should mean if I take to my bed I may feel worse (plus a head ache probably) by the end of the day.
[i]Please indulge me - I ache all over and cold. I am carrying a several extra pounds which adds to the pain (and the worry).
Plus I feel really low and didn't sleep well. Just being honest, thank you for allowing me my moan.
[/i]

From memory, I believe the book says write down the things that you used to do and then choose one thing and plan to do it (something like that).

I think it then goes - break down the plan into small chunks or sections.

so going to the pictures, which could be a big ask includes - getting washed , dressed in something nice, choosing the film, e.t.c.
and if you only get to the getting dressed in something nice - well that's an achievement.

I know, it sounds simplistic.
Also, some depressions are so bad that getting dressed in a major achievement.
At times like this it would be easy to go back to bad habits - like friendships that are no good to me, but I will not be doing that.
What I say is …onwards and upwards with the bath and the warm clothes...if at all possible,
wish me luck.
B

betterinrecovery

Re: Sunday Morning and the Mental Health Mountain

Postby betterinrecovery » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:30 pm

Hello to you, almost one week later! That is, one week after my post above.
I didn't finish the CBT exercise.

There is the review, when you are supposed to look at how things went and how you dealt with difficulties along the way to reaching your goal.
Chris Williams talks about dealing with obstacles that stop us reaching our goals, and not to expect smooth sailing. To expect obstacles and to have a plan ready to deal with them.

I had a plan to walk and to take some stuff to a food-bank and I did do this. I also took a donation to a charity shop. I understand that doing this sort of a thing can lift the mood, so that is why I did it. I got pretty exhausted towards the end of my errand, I had to go home...and back to bed.

I actually think Chris Williams talks about 'unblocking' the problem.
The goal is still to find ways of weathering this low mood/ low mental health difficulty, this is very hard for me.

I do have the book 'The Compassionate Mind' by Paul Gilbert.
I have had the book for ages: it is a bit of a tome.

I am thinking that it could help in my quest to moderate the depression and manage the mood.
Also to look after myself.
So, going to pick at a chapter.
Thank you for your company.
B

hyster

Postby hyster » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:21 pm

id be very wary of self help books, they are very generic IE: they are designed for the majority of people not an individual so take with a huge pinch of salt !!

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:02 pm

Dear Hyster and others who may be reading,
I have been listening rather than reading The Compassionate Mind by Paul Gilbert. I believe he is a clinical psychologist. I have listened to his book 'talks with your therapist', very insightful and calming.
I do recommend it. It can be purchased as a CD.

If nothing else, he has a very calming speaking voice. I feel a bit privileged that I can listen to compassionate psychologist.

The Compassionate mind is really interesting, I am on the chapter that talks about how our brains have evolved and what we do when we feel under threat. I must admit I fell asleep listening to what he was saying.
B

The Compassionate Mind (Compassion Focused Therapy) costs £4.00 in paper back and the Cd is about £14.00. But can be borrowed from the Library. (Books on Prescription).

Return to “The Kitchen”