Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

A Mountain of Books and A Magazine Mountain

For a cuppa - and a chat...
betterinrecovery

A Mountain of Books and A Magazine Mountain

Postby betterinrecovery » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:46 am

Hi there!
Well I have been writing about my piles of stuff ...clothes, craft material you name it and I probably have it :roll:
and I am also going through a mental health difficulty - low mood, so exhausted that I can't get up, feeling that I am of no use to anyone e.t.c.
So I have been sick for a while and I am thinking that writing here might help me perk up a bit and start feeling that I am a bit o.k. and a bit useful.
Also when I am in bed sick I get to thinking dark thoughts and writing here is a way of banishing them.
As I said in a post that I just wrote in the kitchen are - I am not in recovery just now and I do not feel better.
I feel a bit rubbish - but never mind.

There are books, there are magazines and there are films - I have 3 or 4 books on the same topic -and I have 3 or 4 copies of the same book.
For example -
The Importance of Being Earnest 2 copies
Mrs Dalloway - 2 copies (and a film)
I can make you thin (4 copies) -what ever happened there?

and all manner of self help books like CoulditbestressOutwittingStressStressandYouYouandStressDepressionYourQuestionsAnsweredOvercomingDepressionDepressionStoriesHerbalStressControlAmIdepressedAreYouDepressedItCouldBetheBlues…..

and The Compassionate Mind by Paul Gilbert...

So this week ---piles of books---it is you and me...in the ring

But also some of these books have been really helpful - like 'When words are not enough' that discusses mental health medication and how it helps.

Then there is The Woman who went to bed for a year (if only) by Sue Townsend
and The Queen and I by Sue Townsend.

Any hoo
writing here is surely going to help me...and when I am exhausted I can do a bit of writing from the comfort of my bed using my phone.

I hope I can amuse or even be of help to anyone who comes across this post,
thank you, thank you,

Miss Better in Recovery (B for short)

betterinrecovery

Re: A Mountain of Books and A Magazine Mountain

Postby betterinrecovery » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:31 am

Dear Forum Members and Forum Visitors,

So, I am writing from the heart,
But I do feel a little bit vulnerable talking about the (hoarding) difficulties. don't really want to use that term...but we must name that elephant in the room (flat, house..etc).

The key of course ...to bringing balance back into my life is compassion, not chucking everything out in one go...
and I pause as I have just had this image of my elephant sitting on a see-saw: the Elephant is on one side and I am way up in the air on the other side and I am shouting "Hey, Nelly, get off of the see-saw". Then I realise that if Nelly gets off I shall come down to earth with a shock.

That is enough metaphor for one day.

The joy of paired Socks...
I have enough energy to wash a bag of socks and tights …it is the season for unladdered thick tights (you know what I mean girlfriends), we have to keep warm.

So what the Heck!! this bag is full of all manner of tights, thick socks, thin socks, socks for trainers (that I have never got on with, they just slip off my heel and into the shoe).
They went into the washing machine, the worst offenders went into the bin.
Next will be pairing and sharing - homeless shelters appreciate clean, paired socks (as do I), but I do not need 20 pairs of socks.
I need 5 pairs of thick socks and 5 pairs of flowery thin socks full stop.

I have to stop...
not at my best today, but wishing you well,
from B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:22 am

So, more about changing my behaviour and decluttering....
I hope I am not being self-indulgent. Writing here is good, as it spurs me on.

So clothes, shoes and books to local charity, very pleased that they were in good condition.

Unfortunately very poorly, and I think I have to roll with the punches....

If I have enough energy, will sort out that magazine mountain. Some Gp surgeries still take magazines, otherwise some bus stop waiting rooms accept them.
We shall see.

Accepting that it will have to wait for a bit is good...Rome wasn't built in a day.
quite poorly
B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:08 pm

Dear fellow contributors and visitors,

I was interested to see that quite a number of people have seen the couple of post on my mountain and mole-hill topic.
This is encouraging and healing for me, I think maybe I am not as barking as I thought, (excuse the term, I hope it does not offend).

I liked the idea of pairing and sharing socks and I have to say, I took it to another level - pairing and sharing shoes. Some had had a bit of wear but would help someone through the winter, some were weird and wonderful - like the boots with the very high heal and instep. They look lovely, actually, they are beautiful to look at and I have had them for about 9 years - never been able to wear them, so good luck to the person who can :D

A by product of the sorting is finding a few hidden gems - forgotten books, forgotten tops, forgotten cardigans and a forgotten corduroy jacket.
Also a very, very antient mobile phone still works .... but can't link to any network :lol:

This is not an easy process -
but it has to happen -
it is not just about getting rid of excess to stuff, it is about coming to terms with hopes and dreams and events.

So more book sorting and
then I think I will be brave and look at half finished projects that I don't need to go back to.

It can be hard to accept our limitations I think - but it is the only way forward.

with thanks to you for reading my post
Miss Better in Recovery

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:56 pm

Hello!
just in case you are reading this -
the cardigans eventually - after some time, went to a new home.
I have sufficient, I am lucky, I can afford to give them away.
The process continues - The Charity shop is now for donating to and not buying from :lol:
May I have balance in my life.
B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:10 am

All I want for Christmas....

I shall not be wanting any nick-nacks or paddy-wacks for Christmas.
Family members might mean well, but no thank you!! :?
I do like chocolate though :lol:

The challenge to declutter continues :? Not easy.

B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:16 am

Christmas,
not a fan really....
I am of the Christian persuasion, but still not a fan of modern Christmas as it is.

Getting together at Christmas - good (if you get on with the people/family), sharing food- good,
spending more than you can afford-- not so good
disappointing people with 'not good enough gifts'...not so good
Having to sit around with people that don't like you or who you don't like ….a bit rubbish

I am pretty sure that this is not everyone's Christmas experience though.

The Eastern Orthodox Church celebrates Christmas a bit later - January I believe, so I can have another shot at celebrating Christmas ….In a meditative/spiritual and less rushed way.

Looking forward to that.
B

Return to “The Kitchen”