Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Cooking for Comfort

For a cuppa - and a chat...
maisi

Re: Cooking for Comfort

Postby maisi » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:09 pm

Hi,

Do you mean right mindset in general, or for blood tests? Ugh, chest infection with steroids is going to be a pain, try slow release vit c 2x daily and take care of yourself. My bug didn't get worse, it pretty much went away.

I finally caught the good GP yesterday, and have blood tests to arrange now too. She prescribed citalopram ages ago and I didn't take it, but having been a grown up and talked about alcohol use and sleep probs, she's now prescribed amitriptyline, supposedly helps with sleep. Can't see myself cashing that prescription either though. I just don't want any more confusion than I already have about what is causing what.

Did a good mexican wraps meal, it's dead easy- either chicken or veg in a tomato based sauce, smoked paprika (watch out it can be addictive) etc, put it in wraps, in a dish, cover the wraps with any leftover sauce, then sour cream or yoghurt, grated cheese, under the grill. Salad if your a martyr. Fairly quick and makes a change.

Then, a total fail yesterday with pumpkin soup (we will do halloween every year whether I like it or not). Can't understand it, it's usually fine but it turned out crap, had to get an alternative together quick, my daughter was very pleased with the freezer food alternative.

Take care of yourself Chris, and hi B, thinking of you

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:54 am

Dear Maisi,
I am starting this reply upstairs ...in bed... But will finish it down stairs.
I read your post a few days ago, didn't reply as was under the weather.

I thought of you and you pumpkin soup ...I was reading an article about growing giant pumpkins and the man who made a pumpkin boat, (BBC news app) you might have seen it on the news.
I didn't realise that pumpkins can be light in colour and not just orange.
Sorry to hear about the pumpkin soup....freezer food is nice though..salty, but not so bad for younger people, I think.
Our emergency food is a pizza or quiche...we have had a lot of that this weekend.
But we got a cooked chicken and had it with veg...eating it watching country file...they had article on about chicken
So was saying sorry to the chicken :roll:
Now to go down stairs
B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:35 am

Maisi,
we do the Mexican wraps too!
the fajitas --- rather than the enchiladas. I have not had the patience to put the wraps in the oven..in the same way that I don't have patience with lasagne.
But you say, the smoky paprika flavour is really good.
as I said above, not so good this just now so may get a couple of cooking sets and some wholemeal wraps --if they have any.

Re the meds - it's experimental isn't it? The doctor may feel sure that the medication they are working will be right -meds do work, but it is not always the case.
I might have said that I was on venlafaxine for the depressions - for over 10 years - it did work and did save my life, then for some reason stopped working, nothing they have prescribed since has been any good.
So I am taking my chances and it is a struggle, with Mindfulness meditation, sleep and Kalms.
Kalms makes me wee a lot - have to go every 2 hours, but I do sleep, the venlafaxines used to keep me awake...and doubled my weight.
Some of the clinicians do not realise the confusion and disruption that the meds can cause....story for another day.

I would say, if you can, read up about the new meds ( I think you probably have) so that you can be really informed and know what side effects that you might encounter and be prepared.
( I hope I don't sound preachy), Sending you a hugs.

B

Greetings to you Chirs----have not finished posting but just having a break.
B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:47 am

Dear Chris,
checking in to see how you are. I do hope you are recovering from the chest infection. Please keep wrapped warm.
Are you going to have the 'flu jab? I am due to have one.
Sorry for the bad year. Now we are like the Queen - we can say we have had our Annus Horribilus .

I was introduced to the work of the steroids recently - asthma attack. I had not come across them before. I didn't know that they weakened the immune system.

this is what I think - there is a place for sweet things when we are feeling sad and in shock.
Those who have no compassion can not see this.
I know refined sugar presents problems, but there is a place for a cup of tea and a cake, or coffee and something nice like warm buttred toast.

At times we can not face anything else ...

this week end we have had pizza - alot of it.
We had a cooked chicken from the shop yesterday.
Maisi had a good idea with the Mexican wraps - so will take the rest of chicken of the bone - hopefully won't eat it all while doing this and we can have it in the Mexican wraps tonight.
or in curry sauce (from a jar and rice which is easier option).

wishing you peace of mind and sending you (if I may) a big hug

B

maisi

Postby maisi » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:39 pm

Hi both of you,

B you definitely didn't sound preachy, I like hearing your feedback and welcome your advice. Doing my research on treatments is important- you know me well it seems (how? I've clearly not managed all my personas as well as I thought)- but yes it's the experimentation that puts me off, as well as the side effects- I'm already standing on shifting sands, and want to be as clear as I can be what's causing what, that seems to me the point of therapy. If I'm losing my ability to cope even more, I'll know it and will take the extra help. I won't, but it sounds good.

So you've gone from long term medication to no meds, after they stopped working? And are working on all the other ways to look after your mental health? That's a huge change and I'm sorry for my ignorance and/ or forgetfulness if I knew what you're handling.

Did my daughter these cute little lamb chops today, I think it's the first time I've cooked lamb, I had a psychological block about it, but she's had it enough times with other people, and I thought why be a hypocrite, when she asked for lamb.

I talk a load of crap. I hope you're both managing

x

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:21 am

Hi Maisi!
Hi Chris - where are you my dear? I hope you are able to read the posts. I hope you are reasonably o.k.

Maisi,
The truth is that I am struggling on my own just now.
so ...a bit of a rant to follow :roll:
The sad fact is that I went to see the psychiatrist 2 months ago
and up until now I have had no follow up letter or support.
My brain - and house are a bit muddled at the moment.

What I need to do is contact these people with a factual, no nonsense letter.
If care is not taken, I could become very ill, I keep the worst of it at bay by writing here and---strangely knitting - which I guess is a form of meditation.
but I know a minimum trigger could knock me off my balance.

I am sorry to say, that I am ashamed of some of the mental health practioners in my area - both in the formal and charity sector.
In times of real crisis I have, we have (my husband and I) begged for help - almost on our knees.

One mental health worker, who I went to in a crisis (and who didn't help - she was in a meeting and wanted to get back to it), has just written to say what a pleasure it was to work with me.
This is probably a general letter that she sends out to all the people on her list of clients. :x

I have had some supportive and helpful workers and professionals in my life - not in the part of the country I live in at the present time.

------
Re the Lamb chops -
they sound delish....
I like, but I never feel that there is enough meat on them - himself in doors likes them though.

Best wishes to you.

B

christabel

Postby christabel » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:41 pm

Hi to you both.

I'm here still. Thanks for being concerned.

After a full seven days of being Ill and not improving I had to visit the doctors surgery this week. The nurse was very kind and helpful so now I'm on medication and inhaler.

It should be a day or two to kick in. I hope so. I'm pretty fed up of sitting on my backside not feeling like doing anything.

Hope things are as good as they can be for you. You both sound in a better place. I do hope so.
X Chris

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:53 pm

Hello to you Maisi and Chris,
I hope you are both reasonably alright.
just to let you know right now I have some banana bread baking :D
I am going to get all my things done so that I can go to bed in an hour when it is done.
Also good news is that I have (finally) got a letter from the psychiatrist, detailing what we discussed at the meeting in September. :(

Chris, I do hope you are on the mend. Resting is hard work isn't it?
Remember to use your inhaler in the right way ( sorry for telling you what to do) :roll:

I love this eye rolling emoji :roll: :roll:

Dear Maisi,
today tried the pumpkin soup :D
here is the one that I tried...
https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/01/m ... licky.html
in celebration of the Mexican theme.

The other news is that a squirrel has invaded the garden and has mad off with the sunflower heads, Glad I was able to rescue seeds from one flower, so that can plant again next year.

Struggling with my M/H,
how are you both doing M/H wise?

B

maisi

Postby maisi » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:05 pm

That looks like an excellent recipe- I think I'll try it, a good amount of flavour with the chillies and cumin etc. It's the time of year for some stronger flavours. I've always suspected chillies are good on fighting infections, don't know if I'm imagining it.

I'm feeling weird- therapy continuing to have an impact and a 2 part psychology assessment, it's good I know, but just so many changes this year. Can't decide if I'd prefer a diagnosis or just better off trundling along doing what seems to be recommended. I feel weird, but I probably always was and didn't notice :lol: Oh go on then, one of these too :roll:

Yep my friend lost sunflower heads to squirrels too. They are a brilliant sight the way the seeds are arranged in spirals- so many different kinds too.

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:15 pm

Yes
I agree sunflower spirals are amazing. I believe that they conform to a mathematical formula, not so?
B
p.s. :roll: just for fun

Return to “The Kitchen”