maisi

Re: Cooking for Comfort

Postby maisi » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:27 pm

:D All I'm asking..

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:55 pm

Hi Maisi, Hi Chris, :D
Coming to write here is a treat, also writing here helps keep me sane.

I think that we like growing things as well as cooking.
Today I had some spicy tomato soup, my own recipe :D
with some tortia bread. I have to say that I really, really enjoyed it.
I liquidised some roasted red onions, bell peppers (green and red) in the blender and then added a couple of the tomatoes that I grew, (sorry that you didn't grow tomatoes this year Maisi).

Then I fried an onion it a little olive oil, added the blend above, a sock cube and some chilli to give it a kick :D
Then it needed a little something, and this is were things could have gone seriously wrong...I added a spoon of green tomato chutney... that seemed to give it a more rounded taste.

I am a bit proud of the chutney ....not sure how many jars I have.
I plan to make some more...I still have a couple of pounds of green tomatoes and I have been soaking mixed, dried fruit in vinegar. I have the jars ready too.

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:58 pm

Maisi and Chris,
I want to be brave, I want to write a blog for the SANE web site.
I think I lack confidence,
How about if I write and post it here
and you can tell me what you think?

best wishes B

christabel

Postby christabel » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:04 pm

Hi b how are you?
I think your blog would be really good seeing how your posts are always interesting with humour injected when you are well enough.
GO for it.
If you find it helps you, well that is an added bonus. Who would not want any of us to feel better. :)

I think your soup sounds delicious. Have you tried making soda bread? I was going to give it a go sometime. I have not been cooking much the last couple of days as I have managed to go out.
I am getting request for more from our family so I think I'm getting my cooking confidence back.
Nigella is on the t.v. at the moment and I was just having a naughty thought. Have you seen the way she handles/talks about her food. Very seductive. I think I will have a go at that to see what effect it has on the old man next time he's in the kitchen. :shock:

Hi Maisi how are you?

Hope to here from you both soon. Take care. X Chris

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:34 pm

Dear Chris
Hello to you!
Have to say, I'm not a great fan of Nigella. I might have a look at one of her programmes to remind me about her, but I'm not a fan. :!:
But as you might know, I am a fan of the 2 Fat ladies and I am very respectful of Clarissa Dixon-Wright. I think you got a directness from her and an honesty of a recovery alcoholic.
She was posh and she was honest about it. She had a brilliant mind. Cooking helped her recovery, as probably know she was a barrister but started drinking heavily when her mother died.
Enough about that.......
em... the book Spilling the Beans can be had from all good book retailers and online book stores, of course at your library as well :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am glad to hear that you are cooking and I am glad to hear that your family wants more and more of your food. I am glad your confidence is growing back.
Cooking is good for the mind, I didn't know this before but now I do.

I have acquired jars from the shops - ready for my next chutney session. this will be more green tomato chutney, but I have to look sharp as the tomatoes are all ripening!
I have a bowl of soft bananas - I used them to ripen the tomatoes ( have already told you this?).
So I shall have to make banana bread - tomorrow if possible.

Thanks for the idea of the soda bread. I'll let you know how I get on.

The soup was very good, there is some in the 'fridge for tomorrow.

Finally, I grew nasturtiums and I found a recipe for nasturtium pesto.
it is very, very green...like algae :mrgreen: on a pond, and a bit tasteless ( forgot to add the garlic).
All the best to you...Sweep your fella off his feet. :D

B

maisi

Postby maisi » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Hi guys,

Sorry, been in a different state of mind recently, hope you're both doing well. Getting requests from family is a sure sign your cooking with gas, hehe. B I think you'd do a really interesting and helpful blog, I can understand it would take courage, and v happy to read it and comment here before you decide to post, if you still want.

Cooking wise, can't think of anything interesting, but was given a little tin of pecan truffles which were really a treat- not too sweet, kind of cocoa dusted. Oh and had tapas (it was my birthday recently), that was v good.

:D

maisi

Postby maisi » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Nasturtium seed heads can be pickled to make v good capers- haven't tried it but found a recipe for the allotment newsletter a couple of years ago

christabel

Postby christabel » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi you two. Good to hear from you both :)

I can not get capers. I bought some first time for a recipe and to be honest I could not understand how they would improve it as they smelt and tasted like a dirty ash tray. Not that I have licked an ash tray but as an ex smoker have definitely smelt one.
We have a relative who is very picky about food so me being naughty said have you tried one of these. He was still speaking to me. Just.
How do you use them maisi, capers that is? Can remember eating Nasturtium leaves in the garden when we were young. Peppery if I recall.

I'm not a fan of Nigela particularly just the programme was on while we waited for another. I have always liked a cookery program and start watching them on an afternoon in the 1970s.Mary Berry was just a baba. Have learned quite a bit over the years but baking with my grandmother probably planted the seed.

Rubbed some pastry for Apple pies this morning but after having a dreadful night I decided not to push myself any further today.
The lunch cameout of pre prepared in the freezer so that was a boon. It's cheese on toast for Sunday tea. Wish I had some banana cake though.

Hope the weekends going ok for you both. X Chris

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:46 pm

Maisi and Chris,
I thought In would just say "Hi!".
Mental health a bit doggy today and also house is cold, so I am cold and that doesn't help my mental wellbeing. Have tried to soldier on, but now I am going to go to bed with a hot water bottle.
I have cooked liver and onions (cooked this morning, which means that I ate liver and onions for breakfast, really :mrgreen: ), so that there is a meal for my husband when he gets in.
but I think I need to quit now.
Maisi and Chris, hope to hear more about your cooking news.
I will now go and look for hot water bottle.
Best wishes
B

maisi

Postby maisi » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:25 pm

You'd have to be very hungry to lick an ashtray, be better off eating a cigarette I reckon. Capers aren't that bad if you don't eat a jar full! I never buy them, but don't mind any flavours really. Aw yes I remember passing nasturtium to a beautiful little baby to eat, with a flower tucked behind his ear- that age when they don't have any worry as it's all new.

Currently addicted to an american spice blend that works well with virtually everything: 21 seasoning salute- onion, black pepper,celery seed,cayenne,parsley, basil,majoram, bay, oregano, thyme,savory, rosemary, cumin, mustard, coriander,garlic, carrot, orange peel,tomato granules, lemon juice powder,oil of lemon, citric acid.

It is quite oniony, but it really works, down through all the herbs to the citrussy taste too- I chuck it on everything from frozen fish to cheese on toast to pasta sauce. Won't be able to get it again as someone got it in the US, so it'll be a phase.

Yep it is definitely cold now. Playing chicken with the first use of central heating of the year- too soon I think.

Return to “The Kitchen”