SANE Support Forum

Cooking for Comfort

For a cuppa - and a chat...
maisi

Re: Cooking for Comfort

Postby maisi » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:24 pm

hi betterinrecovery,

:lol: the old fashioned look! what a conversation :lol:

Those recipes look amazing, thank you, the carrot cake one looks really good, I'd like try it at some point. I find grating carrots a real pain, but you can stick them in a blender. Did you go blackberrying, if so did you enjoy it and what are you going to do with them?

I was cooking curries the other day, slightly obsessively, I did 3- it's not depression with me it's more like anxiety and trauma, and sometimes doing tons of jobs is escapism- and I realised how much I love the smell of mustard seeds. They pop and can jump out if the pan so it makes the kitchen noisy and aromatic in a fun way.

Hope you're both finding some good things in life x

christabel

Postby christabel » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:03 pm

Hi b and maisi

Sorry to been off radar for a while. Having horrible time coming off meds I have had for physical illness. Having to drop 1mg every month is taking its toll especially the days/week after.

Not being able to get out much at the mo I decided to put more effort into meals and baking. Have just jotted down a nice pasta bake recipe, my sister saw, to try perhaps tomorrow. Made a few tray bakes. The lemon drizzle went down well again.
Don't know if you have watched Nadiya cooking but last week she made quite a few things I would like to try.

The fact that others are doing similar or taking an interest really helps.Thinking of curry recipes now and already have made Apple and BlackBerry crumble with the harvest.

Hope to hear from you soon b and that you are feeling stronger.

Hope you and your lovely daughter are well Maisi.look forward to more from you.

X Chris :)

maisi

Postby maisi » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:38 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your hellos and good wishes, it's really nice to have a chat on here.

It's really hard to manage multiple issues at the same time, sorry the meds are causing difficulties- not those 'orrible steroids are they? Sounds like taking it easy and enjoying nice things is the other essential medical care at the moment.

Today's inspiring supper? A shop bought soup for me, McCain's smiley faces, chicken drumsticks and frozen veg for my girl! :lol: 1/10. On the plus side, got some bargain fruit and been enjoying that (figs, grapes and kiwis). Will be surprised if we manage to get through all of it before it goes off. 4 figs for less than 50p. Don't think any figs will get eaten by my daughter, but I like them.

I'm finding I just can't watch tv at the moment, just can't keep my concentration for it. What was good from Nadiya?

I hope betterinrecovery is managing what sounds like a really important and creative approach.

Look after yourself x

maisi

Postby maisi » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:52 pm

No, 2/10 is more fair, at least it involved the oven.

christabel

Postby christabel » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi maisi.
Good to hear from you. Hope you are ok. :)

Had an easy day meal wise today. Calorie counted shop bought lasagne at lunch time but a very naughty sausage sandwich for tea.

I made spicey sausage pasta on Tuesday and there was enough for two days so definitely will do that again. Hubby loved it.
I need to think of my next concoction and see if I would need any ingredients. There are some nice recipes in a magazine I was reading so I will have another look.
Nadiya made a pastry crown that I remember but I am going to have to watch again to be reminded of the other things. Memory is terrible but I do know I was interested.

Friday tomorrow so I tend to think of having fish. Daft really but never mind. We always say it's ' fish Friday'. We do try to have some oily fish in the week. We like the tinned mackerel in a chilli sauce on toast. Does that count?

I hope you've been enjoying your fruit. Good and healthy for you.
I love the summer fruits.

How do you pass the time if you don't watch tv. Have you any hobbies that you can manage? I must admit I don't watch alot of tv but do like reading ( when I can ) easy crosswords and music. Do a bit of colouring but not for a while.

Hope the day has been good and a peaceful night. X

maisi

Postby maisi » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:11 am

Hi christabel,

that sounds interesting re pastry crown, i wondered if it was savoury or sweet. and tinned mackerel on toast definitely counts, we like that too, it's really nice and has the essential oils- chilli sounds like a good combination. yeah if I'm doing some more effortful cooking i often do enough for 2 meals, either for the fridge or freezer- v nice to have supper already made. hey fish friday is a national tradition, that's important!

i eat fish but not meat, it's just out of habit now, but enjoy making sure my daughter has meat in her diet, happy to cook it. i lost weight with all the stress i've been through recently, which was v welcome, so I'm trying to think of calories more to at least enjoy one benefit of a tough time.

er hobbies..i do/did before I found myself in a crisis. similar to you. i like drawing and making things when i'm feeling ok (i posted about a drawing technique in the creativity corner, can't recommend it enough for having a break, it's so easy and rewarding), music, but not enough- it's such a helpful thing I should bear it in mind more. sudoku, crosswords, online puzzles, but it has got harder to enjoy these recently. been reading more. i'm gutted about gardening and my allotment. i have admin responsibilities there and people always talk to me, and i felt too ill to be there due to this. have not missed a season in all the time i've been there except this year, and now have a mental block about it as it's probably badly overgrown. will definitely overcome this though when i'm ready. not that it was ever a prize winning plot but i treasured every faulty crop.

take care, maisi

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:25 am

Dear Maisi and Chris,
I had gone off the rails...cake ...biscuits...

now reading your posts I am challenged to do a bit of good cooking and eating.
I have a few episodes of Hairy Bikers recorded - one on bread making so will watch that.
Nadia is good to watch...I also enjoy watching her...
I have some Turkey in the fridge... Turkey has tryptophan that produces serotonin that makes us feel well, as you know.

feeling rough, so maybe we should have serotonin stew today ;)

Best wishes
B
p.s. I think we need more oily fish too..will have to see what is in the over frozen freezer...hand me the pick axe :lol:

christabel

Postby christabel » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi b and maisi

You never fail to bring a smile to my face. Thank you for that :)
We don't need to be total miseries because of our mental health do we? I'm not dismissing how bad it can be just glad some can still keep sense of humour.

Nadiya made a savoury crown. I believe she used Turkey ham because she doesn't eat normal ham. She used a tomato base on her sheets of pastry then top with her ham and cheese. Made into a circle/loop cut then twisted it to make crown effect. Sort of a posh sausage roll.

christabel

Postby christabel » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:24 pm

I had forgotten about the drawing technique maisi. I was going to have a go. My memory with these meds is terrible ( good when I choose not to remember something - naughty )

Turkey is good for sleeping problems too b. I have lately bought Turkey steaks for that reason. I have never been able to work with yeast so I will give the bread etc a miss. Could of paved our garden with my hot cross buns. Birds that did manage to peck through them could not take off afterwards. Now if I do a homemade pizza I leave dough to hubby. He's ok with it.

It is a shame about your allotment maisi.being in the fresh air and being able to produce stuff is brilliant. Don't give up wanting to get back to it. How is your garden doing b? Our little garden has been looking good. Hubby has done most of the work as I can't bend over for any length of time. I just point where to put things.

Before I forget have you see the craft where you make pictures with tiny beads. It sort of a cross between cross stitch and painting by numbers. The sets are quite cheap online.

Take care. X Chris

maisi

Postby maisi » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:22 pm

Hi you two,

Sorry you're feeling rough b, hope you looked after yourself. Cakes and biscuits definitely have their benefits, a little sugar is good for your happiness don't forget :D

It was such a hot summer, it's kind of nice to be able to have the sort of meals you don't feel like doing in the heat- my daughter's chuffed that gravy and stuff is back on the menu. I did not know that about turkey. That nadiya (nadia? no idea) technique sounds great- fairly simple and very adaptable to other ingredients.

I am very impressed by the idea of breadmaking, that is proper effort. Christabel that is hilarious! I have an image of a garden path paved with buns, with bloated pigeons staggering around :lol: I bet they weren't that bad. A Husband who makes pizza dough sounds nice too- I've gotta find one of them. Earlier this year when my daughter was down and struggling I did suggest I help her make pizzas so she could take it all out on the dough, and it worked- she enjoyed kneading and kneading it, and getting pizza at the end. I used a recipe from a Hugh Fernley-Wernley book, all the ones I've tried (which is only about 4) turned out good.

Not sure I have seen the bead craft, sounds really interesting though, I'll have a look. My girl likes doing these picture kits which are made of dots, and you pin different coloured sequins onto the dots- I'm always very happy to 'help' and try not to take over. Though she doesn't have the concentration to finish them usually, even over a few sessions.

Yeah it's a shame about the allotment. But I've decided to switch to an empty plot that feels more private. I'll have to clear mine to let it out, and the one I'm moving to, but it'll be worth it. I could have done with more gardening over the last few months, to help with all the anxiety.

Wishing you both a good week ahead,

Maisi

Return to “The Kitchen”