Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Cooking for Comfort

For a cuppa - and a chat...
betterinrecovery

Re: Cooking for Comfort

Postby betterinrecovery » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:30 am

Dear Chris and Maisi,
Didn't get any turkey yesterday, but did get some chicken legs (not matching) ;) ,
The challenge will be to skin them and de-bone them :?

Have you ever de-boned a whole chicken? My brother used to butcher the chicken and de-bone it (not in this country).
I never did, but now realise it is a useful skill...if you find that you are hungry and all you have is a live chicken.
Maisi, Forgive me ... this is not good talk for vegetarians, and I mean no offence.

The challenge will be to do the washing up and de-bone the chicken, If I am lucky might try a rice pudding as have a tin of evaporated milk and some pudding rice.
I want to take up the 5 a day challenge this week...I hope you (and I) will be amused and impressed.

Maisi and Chris, tell me your news.

B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:38 am

Dear Maisi and Chris,
just to keep you in the loop, ( also writing here is quite helpful for me just now).

So, did you have pan-cakes yesterday?
We did, my husband, insisted that we did ( he doesn't insist on many things, but he likes his traditions).
We make the pancake mix in the mornings and then it has 'matured' by tea time.
He said it was the best mix we have had for a while -so thank you Delia ;)

There is also rice pudding and a chicken stew (see above post) and mashed potatoes with leeks :D
so will have to freeze some.

I did put a table-spoon of Marmite in the stew --for taste and for B vitamins; not fond of marmite on toast but it makes a good vegetable stock, I think.

So that's my news. I was quite dizzy with the UTI but that is a story for another day.

Wishing you both well, ( and others reading this)

B
p.s. I have reason to go back to the mindfulness meditations, that for another day also. :roll:

maisi

Postby maisi » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:06 pm

Ah, you missed a trick not getting your brother to teach you. I quite like cooking down leftover chicken for soup and stock, no worries on that front.

I don't know what to say, I'm feeling a bit overloaded so it's either keep it brief or spend an hour typing, but I do want to say hi to both of you, and I love reading both your chats even when not chatting much back.

Hope you both recover from your accident Chris and your aches and UTI B

x

christabel

Postby christabel » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:05 pm

Hi to you both. Good to hear from you b and you too maisi even if it has to be brief at the mo. Hope you both feel better soon.

You have been busy cooking b. No pancakes for us I'm afraid. We were not that bothered to be honest. We have a rather nice looking pancake shop on our seafront but we have not been. We are not that into eating out much. I think it is probably to do with not having spare cash with a growing family and habits die hard.

Would not have said no to trying yours though b. What did you put on them ?
I think I might be due to a badge. Drum roll. I can and have filleted and de boned chicken. Learned years ago through cookery programmes. Probably have it on YouTube these days and its not too difficult.

Gardeners world is back on TV.. spring is round the corner. Feels very wintery today though but it fill us with hope. I have found a lot of plants have carried on flowering right through winter. Garden hasn't been bare at all.

Love marmite. On toast or in stews. Yum. Might have some for supper.
Jeremy Clarkeson on now. Do you like him? I find him quite witty.
Masterchef shortly. Loving TV programmes lately.

Take care x Chris

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:50 am

Dear Maisi and Chris,
Nice to hear from you. I wonder do either of you watch Frasier on Chanel 4? I do, I have been a fan since the beginning. It helps to watch it and have a chuckle. I think David Hyde-pierce is really funny and I think he has great comic timing.

I think if you can de-bone a chicken then you should have a drum roll and a medal.

With the boning of the chicken, yes I think I will have a look on you tube. To give a better explanation..my brothers butchered the chicken, then we all plucked the feathers (time consuming) :?
Then my older brother gutted the chicken and cut it up e.t.c.
Apparently if the gall-bladder burst in this process in ruined the flavour of the bird, so I guess they just got on with it.

Ahhh Marmite and Jeremy Clarkson. You love them or you don't. Me, not so much, but there you are.

Storm Gareth is quite, quite ferocious here just now.
Best Wishes
B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:33 am

Bread , Bread and Banana Bread... :D
Dear Maisi and Chris,
I am exhausted. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The UTI seems to have cleared, but I feel rung out as it were.
I have always know that a UTI can make a person have heightened symptoms that can be seen as mental illness or even dementia, but I have not, until now experienced anything like this...I am so glad I got the antibiotics.

So staying in and making seeded bread rolls (white) Seeded bread rolls (brown) and Banana bread.

Then will just have to go back to bed...that's how it is here.

My husband pointed out that bread pudding and custard 3 times a day is not a balanced diet ...I have been told-off :o
hard to keep on the straight and narrow.
How is your healthy eating Chris?

Best wishes B

christabel

Postby christabel » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:06 pm

Hi to you both. Hope the weekend is being good for you.
I can understand you feeling rung out b. UTI s knock the stuffing out of us. Rest, plenty fluids and try a bit fresh air if this wind ever drops.
Had to visit GP today for x Ray results and possible injection into joint. Foot is so bad that he injected me in the butt with the hope it would work through my system to where it is needed.

It's never going to get better, just a case of managing the pain. He was really pleased at my weight loss though. Another 3 pounds last week. Considering I can't walk far and just been out if we need groceries I'm quite proud myself.

Looking forward to fine weather. At least now we have a garden I can sit out. I would be demented stuck indoors permanently.
Lot of things springing into bloom or leaf now. Only two weeks till lighter nights start again. Seems a lifetime away when we had to put clocks back. It's flown over for us.

Latest cookery. Chicken pieces dipped in Nat yogurt then coated in crushed Doritos, onion grains, garlic grains and a little paprika. Fried in Airfrier. Have I told you that one? Yes you can do chips in Airfrier. Oven chips are lovely but I do my own with potatoes or sweet potatoes and oil spray. More or less anything you can fry can be done more healthily. Someone said something like the above chicken would do in the oven ok if you have a fan assisted one.

Take care. Xxx Chris

maisi

Postby maisi » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:01 pm

Hi there,

I got given a bread machine, have a loaf doing now- 25% spelt flour is nice, I know it's not the same as your proper home made rolls B. Baked a cake (I knew she was coming so I...). I've got mixed feelings about Spring as I should have windowsills full of seed trays by now but don't, hope I don't not bother again.

Can't complain about the sunlight and the violets and coltsfoot. People in the park/woods are gathering wild garlic. It's noticeably south east asians who tend to gather the garlic, bags and bags full- there's loads there, nice to imagine what will be cooked.

Had a nasty cold, but I don't think it's going to drag on. One of those ones that makes everything taste crap, think I need something sharp like grapefruit. Sorry to hear you're having a painful time of it Chris, it is really impressive to be dropping the pounds when you're restricted. I'm intrigued about the air fryer, but unlikely to change my cooking ways, too lazy. Chicken in crushed doritos is genius.

Take care B and Chris x

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:01 pm

Dear Chris and Maisi,
I have just been out on -circular walk with shopping trolley-
I (being from my part of Africa) find it very hard to go for a walk without having an end goal.
I mean that in my little mind going for a walk just to keep fit is not enough.
Going for a walk with shopping trolley with a view to getting 7kg of potatoes works for me though.
So i hope you are both reasonably well. I hope anyone reading this is reasonably well also.

Chris, I am challenged and impressed by your change of lifestyle, I hope I can follow your example.
you are doing all this with big challenges in your health which is extraordinary, I think. So I am challenged and so I went for the circular walk :)

I did notice that spring is springing :lol:

Maisi,
Impressed x2 by the bread machine.

Re - the garden. I think I shall have to buy seedlings in this year, it is a bit of a muddle in the kitchen just now.
Have to do washing up just now...
feeling a bit wooly in the head, but much better after having the walk.

Best wishes to both of you and to all.
B

christabel

Postby christabel » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:57 pm

Ooooooo the smell of baking bread. Was the cake and bread nice maisi?
It must be ok to cook with wild garlic. I've often wondered.
Smells so good in the woods I could almost roll in it.

I crave onion when I've had a cold. Horrible when you can't taste anything. I did buy some airwaves gum the other week which really cleared the tubes. Hope you're feeling better maisi.

Well done b. Hope your energy level continues to rise after your illness. You're not making bucket loads of potato salad to go with the chutney are you. ;)

Think the butt injection has helped my foot. A lot less pain and hardly swollen now. Have been having quite a lot of leg and foot cramps in the night though this week. Probably done a bit more walking. Apparently I can get injected every 4month if it helps.

Out in the garden yesterday. Pruning, tidying and planting up some new planters with begonia bulbs. Ladybirds already out but also the greenfly. We had no ladybirds last year. 3 bumblebees tried to get in doors too. Felt better for the exercise especially back and forth with the watering can for all the planters.

Cooking. Baked cheese and fruit scones for family. A spicey shepherd's pie using butternut squash and mash on top. A root vegetable bake which was quite nice but I think it didn't agree with me so much. Just let us say I was making music without any instruments. Hubby is begging me to not make it again. :lol:
Might. :twisted:

Generally have been pretty good depression/anxiety wise. Think I have got to the stage where I don't care too much. Trying to live more for the day. I know I will never be free of it but count my blessings.
How have you two been that way? Look forward to hearing from you.
X Chris

Return to “The Kitchen”