Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Cooking for Comfort

For a cuppa - and a chat...
maisi

Re: Cooking for Comfort

Postby maisi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:54 am

Hi again Chris and betterinrecovery,

I like this thread b started, it kind of does feel a bit like sitting with a cuppa in a kitchen. betterinrecovery, a big hug to you, I'm picturing us in a sunny kitchen with plants by the window and a big wooden table. Clean and tidy, obviously, because I can always dream, can't I?

Chris, thanks for telling me about yourself, you're sounding in control despite multiple pressures, I'm really sorry you've got so many responsibilities and worries. I think the forum is a great place to be able to talk and listen, I know from my own experience there must be times when it's very hard, I hope the forum is helpful then too. Do you have anyone in your day to day life you can talk to, if not, would you want that if it was possible?

I've kind of been in denial about the extent of my problems for many years, but it all got out of my control this year, and I'm having to tackle it. I live with my adult daughter, who has a life limiting condition and learning difficulties, and will always need my help. She's an amazing person, and my heart is broken about what she's faced and faces in the future, but it's hard to always be her support, and live such a restricted life for so many years. Also she's the product of a very abusive relationship which I've never wanted to think about. But after flashbacks of that time, panic attacks, anxiety and intrusive memories became a sort of continuous, though varying, routine this year, I'm realising I've been living under that shadow all along. That's a summary of my situation and mental health as I see it at the moment.

I don't think I've experienced serious depression, and sincerely hope it doesn't come up for me, (but realistically it might well do as I try and move myself along this road) but I think I understand a bit about what it must be like.

I'm sending love and support to both of you, hoping to keep chatting here if and when you feel like it. Thanks b for opening up the kitchen! x

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:32 am

Hello Chris! Hello Maise!
it was a nice surprise to come to here and see that you have been here :D :D :D :D .
I have to come back to read the posts as I have to be at a meeting for 10 am.

I am going to quickly start a thread about it - in 'mutual support', as I think I need some help with this business of getting support from mental health charities in my town and meeting with business of meeting with mental health workers.
Best regards (that sounds formal) :D
B

maisi

Postby maisi » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:43 pm

Hi,

hope the meeting went well, that sounds really proactive (and brave) of you. I haven't read you're new thread but will. Apple cake or cheese and pickle sandwich? :D

maisi

Postby maisi » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:44 pm

Yours, etc

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:55 pm

I am reading through the posts above and I feel happy and cheered up.
Hey, I found an interesting carrot cake recipe. will have to type in a word document then copy and paste it here.
I watched Bake-off this evening :D :D :D :D :D

Moving away from cakes and such - wonder if frozen fish can be cooked in a slow cooker?

I am excited about the 'fake away' fish and chips recipe that was featured on the bbc programme 'Eat Well Less' - corn flakes are used to coat the fish which is cooked from frozen.
that is what I think we will have for our evening meal tomorrow.

It is getting close to midnight, when I do believe this lap top turns into a pumpkin, so I will say good night.
----one last thought----I need to go black berry picking, something (good) from my child hood that I really love.
Has anyone reading this been black berry picking lately? Chris? Maise
? anyone?

maisi

Postby maisi » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:15 pm

Hi,

Glad you're cheered a bit by the kitchen chat, sounds like you've been really proactive :D

Blackberrying is such great idea. A lovely kind of late summer walk, sounds like you've got some nice spots near you, I do where I live. I haven't been because I still haven't used all the bags from last year, and they're getting on my nerves taking up room in the freezer. V lazy not to have used them up yet. I've eaten a few as I go by though.

I don't know about the slow cooker I've never used one, but I have done chicken in crushed cornflakes 'breadcrumbs' in the past and it worked really well. Did you do the fish recipe in the end, if so how did it turn out? Interesting that it cooks from frozen.

Look forward to seeing the carrot cake recipe if you have time, sounds good. And you were running it through your head in the meeting!

Take care, maisi

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:25 pm

Dear Maisi,
I'm going blackberrying tomorrow, I shall go mid-afternoon.

re the blackberries , well-done for freezing them.

What about me, I bought some frozen blackberries from the local shop and forgot to put them in the freezer... they went off,

so I had a go at using them as a natural dye to dye an old cotton top - the results were not too impressive, but it was a fun thing to do.
My husband, ever the historian, says that clothes dyeing was done with uric acid from urine and that urine would probably help the colours fix in the cloth - so I gave him a old fashioned look.

Rice Pudding
today I made rice pudding in the slow cooker, I have been meaning to do this again for a while. I found a recipe on the internet, I didn't follow it to the letter,
but the results seem to be good - I have had several helpings.

I do like the idea of chicken covered with cornflake breadcrumbs,
I hope to try the fish in cornflakes tomorrow -so we can have a fish supper.

the carrot cake recipe was very good :) ...I'd do that again, it was straightforward not faffing about with candied ginger and cooking oil, just the Butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, carrot and ground almonds (see below).

Marian Keyes tells how baking was her salvation in the midst of a particularly nasty bout of depression...I shall look for the book and write up the details.

As ever, wishing you the best
B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:42 pm

Comforting Carrot Cake :)
Recipie from Lidl :)
please relace courgette with extra carrot if desired.

for the cake:
• 2 courgettes
• ends removed
• 1 carrot
• peeled
• 200 g butter
• softened
• 200 g sugar
• 200 g self-raising flour
• 50 g ground almonds
• 1 tsp baking powder
• heaped
• 3 eggs
• 1 pinch salt
• 40 g sultanas
• 1 lemon
• zest only
• 1 orange
• zested and juice reserved

(Frosting - • 400 g cream cheese,
• 200 g butter
• softened
• 200 icing sugar
• 1 lemon
• zest only
• To decorate
• 1 handful flaked almonds
• 1 lime
• zest only

1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6. Grease and line 2 20cm cake tins.
2. Coarsely grate the carrot and courgettes, then place into a colander over the sink and squeeze to release any liquid. Repeat twice, or until barely any more moisture comes out. Toss in 10g of the flour and set aside.
3. Sieve the flour into the bowl of a food mixer and add the sugar, baking powder, salt and almonds. Zest the lemon – reserving the juice for the frosting – and add to the bowl along with the orange zest, sultanas, butter and eggs.
4. Mix for 2 minutes, then add the courgette and carrot to the bowl and mix for a further 2 minutes, or until well combined – do not overmix.
5. Divide between the lined cake tins and bake in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes, or until the tip of a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tins, then turn out onto a rack and leave to cool completely.
6. For the frosting, place the very soft butter into a bowl and add a tablespoon of the reserved orange juice. Beat or whisk until combined, then add the icing sugar to form a smooth buttercream. If you like, add a squeeze of lemon juice, too.
7. Stir in the cream cheese and lemon zest, mixing gently with a wooden spoon until combined.
8. Spread half the frosting in the middle of the cake and use the rest on top. Decorate with a little lemon and lime zest, or curls of citrus peel.

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:43 pm

oops :? ...should have just posted the link.
B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:57 pm

Flakeaway fish and chips with mushy peas.
https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/fakeaw ... hips_41029
Best Regards
B

Return to “The Kitchen”