Cleaning at home

For a cuppa - and a chat...
betterinrecovery

Re: Cleaning at home

Postby betterinrecovery » Mon May 21, 2018 11:52 pm

Hi A!

Oh my the stuff is multiplying!!
Left, right and centre!

The thing is I can be so harsh and censorious about my hoarding. I was going to say "We can we can be so harsh and censorious" - but I decided to 'own' my emotions and behaviour.

Yes, I am harsh to myself and embarrased for myself.

Sometimes, hoarding shows that we have had some trauma in the past.

Today, I overheard a lady saying that she had been clearning a relative's home...and taking things to favoured charity shops.
That got me thinking...

But yes, we must start a new thread.
Best regards
B

aldertree

Postby aldertree » Tue May 22, 2018 10:09 am

Hi B!

Thank you that made me laugh :D . I think my hoarding has always been a factor in the stress and anxiety I get and although I have had help from support workers in the past to get rid of things I havn't really acknowledged the trigger it is. I can be hard on my self about it but also feel defensive as well. Will think about starting a new thread but in the meantime I'll post here. I know what you mean about it multiplying as well! Taking things to charity shops help me as the items are going to a good cause - although sometimes I buy more things.

Best Regards,

A x

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Wed May 23, 2018 9:04 am

HI!! :D

Thank you for joining me on this quest, thank you for reading my posts,

I am so glad that I made you laugh, as this issue can make a person laugh and...it can make a person cry too.... :lol:

I have the BBc iplayer and put 'Hoarding' into the search engine again..it brought up a few good programmes, I started listening to one, more on that when we start the tread...any day now..

I am learning to do different crafts and I pick up materials and things that I think might be useful..but without an organised system for storing them, well, I feel like I might be buried under a mountain of canvas, wool, fabric, beads and glue....yuck!

Tidying away isn't the answer....I know that. Like you say, it is dealing with the triggers-and the root causes.
I am trying to find a creative way of doing this.

Today I am taking pictures of the piles and boxes of stuff. this will help with facing up to the problem.

It is possible to spend the whole morning sifting through things...this will not help, so have to limit the time I spend on this each day...
there are other things I need to do in the day.
This is painful issue, but it can be funny too.

some very intelligent people were hoarders - e.g.the late Iris Murdock

I found a book on overcoming O.C.D. unfortunately it is in one of my piles and I can't find it just now,
very best wishes
B

aldertree

Postby aldertree » Wed May 30, 2018 12:20 pm

Hi B!!

Thank you , it helps me to hear from someone else on the same quest :D . I havn't listened to the programmes on iplayer yet but it's good to know they are there. I was in denial about being a hoarder for many years until I had to move , then I was surrounded by many boxes - probably fourty-five large boxes in a small one bedroom flat ! My support worker at the time said it was OCD though I didn't really want to believe it's only in las few months I looked up ocd behaviour and realised there were other symptoms I had. How are you getting on with yours at the moment ? I want to do something about it though tired this week so not doing very much. The plan for me is to sort, declutter and clean a set of ten plastic drawers to tidy things into. Also just managed to take two bags of clothes to a charity shop without buying anything else!! Celebrated with a coffee and cake out :) I din''t have lots of art and craft things but I do like colouring books and would like to take up painting - the living room floor nearly always has pencils on it ! I'll try to set up a new thread now.

Very Best Wishes,

A

aldertree

Postby aldertree » Wed May 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi again B !

Just posting to let you know I've posted about hoarding on another board, think it was the main one. Also I wanted to add I have problems house cleaning as well but would like to improve on this. I've not come up with a way of doing this though a support worker did suggest doing an hour of housework a day when I feel well enough. This was a few years ago and I started this every now and again then lapsed , then started again. It sort of works for me though I think I would like to be a bit more organised now so I've started listed cleaning jobs and how often I want to do them. Not sure what's going to help but reading other yours and other people's posts is encouraging me.

Very best wishes,

A

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu May 31, 2018 11:17 pm

Dear Aldertree,
I did find the thread,
Thank you for starting it.

So much to say, but it is a bit late -
I am so, so tired. Head tired not physically tired from trying to work out what to do with the stuff in the house.

I think you are very brave in taking the bags to the charity shop...and very brave for coming away without buying anything and finding another way of rewarding yourself.

I need to get ready for a car boot sale that is in one week. I have never ever, ever, even been to a car boot sale, but I am going there to sell...not to buy.
The money I raise can go to help two young ladies abroad - more about that later; also what ever is left after the sale will go straight to a charity shop...I hope.

Last week I was so frustrated, I have been asking my partner for help for a while with the piles of stuff. in the end I got an arm full of stuff and dropped in the middle of the living room.
It looked like something out of a sit-com only it wasn't funny :?

If he still doesn't help me I shall pile my C^*& on to his favorite chair....If the shoe was on the other foot, I would help him.

Thinking about what you have said about the cleaning and all...
till tomorrow.

B

aldertree

Postby aldertree » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:12 am

Dear Betterforecovery,

Thank you for your reply and I think I know what you mean about head tired. You sound as though you are really going through it with your hoarding and I get times when I feel like that too. I hope you can feel support to know that you are not alone with it. Did you get to a car boot sale today? I have lived with it for many years and on reflection I don't think one specific thing helped but doing different thing such counselling, support workers and sorting into the three piles. I hope your partner can be supportive if not now in the future. With one partner in the past he offered to help but I didn't want him to , this was a time when I was in denial. Now I'm very fortunate to have a charity shop at the end of the road and a coffee shop to pass on my way home from the charity shop so the universe is helping me to declutter! I found the replies on the main board heart warming and I will reply there this week.

Very best wishes,

A x

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:50 pm

Dear A,

thank you for your post.

I think I went in to 'melt down' over the last few days.

I do say my partner is supportive, but I think it has to be on his terms. He was actually stepping over my stuff and carrying on with his day- this went on for a week!!!!
I was so cross.

I have been dealing with a change in my meds, so rather anxious and unable to be as empathetic as I would like....everythng irritates me just now.
In a way this is a good thing - Irritation and annoyance can bring change.

I do hope yu are in reasonable health. Yes, it appears that the universe is on your side with the charity shop and the coffee shop. that is a nice arragement.

It is such a lovely day here, I hope you are enjoying the nice weather.

B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:32 pm

so,
I am going to sell my stuff at a car boot sale next week.
Clothes, books and crockery,
wish me luck,
particularly as have been a bit under the weather with the meds, depression e.t.c.

B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:35 pm

Actually not well at all,
never mind
will try and get some sleep.
B

Return to “The Kitchen”