Shopping with rehab team tomorrow buying ingredients for cooking. They'll make me use the self service checkouts. Used them twice already but still feel nervous. Biggest fear is making a mistake and people being angry because i'm holding them up. On the menu pasta carbonara.
300g dried spaghetti
1 tsp vegetable oil
4 slices lean back bacon rashers snipped into pieces
5 spring onions trimmed and finely chopped
150g lower fat soft cheese with garlic and herbs
150ml 1% fat milk
40g reduced fat hard cheese finely grated
2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
1 pinch ground black pepper
What to do:
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add the pasta or spaghetti and cook for 8-12 minutes, according to pack instructions.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the bacon and spring onions and cook them for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat.
3. Beat together the soft cheese and egg in a mixing bowl, then stir in the bacon and spring onions. Add the milk, half the cheese and the parsley (if using). Season with some pepper.
4. Drain the pasta, then return it to the saucepan. Add the egg mixture and heat gently for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture cooks and thickens. Serve, sprinkled with the remaining cheese.
1. For a vegetarian version, omit the bacon.
2. Check the pack instructions for cooking the pasta, as some quick-cook varieties are done in just 3-5 minutes.
3. Try adding 75g thawed frozen peas, stirring them in just after adding the egg mixture to the pasta.