Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

This week's recipe/self service checkouts

For a cuppa - and a chat...
ooby

This week's recipe/self service checkouts

Postby ooby » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:38 pm

Shopping with rehab team tomorrow buying ingredients for cooking. They'll make me use the self service checkouts. Used them twice already but still feel nervous. Biggest fear is making a mistake and people being angry because i'm holding them up. On the menu pasta carbonara.

Ingredients:

300g dried spaghetti
1 tsp vegetable oil
4 slices lean back bacon rashers snipped into pieces
5 spring onions trimmed and finely chopped
150g lower fat soft cheese with garlic and herbs
1 egg
150ml 1% fat milk
40g reduced fat hard cheese finely grated
2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
1 pinch ground black pepper

What to do:

1. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add the pasta or spaghetti and cook for 8-12 minutes, according to pack instructions.

2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the bacon and spring onions and cook them for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat.

3. Beat together the soft cheese and egg in a mixing bowl, then stir in the bacon and spring onions. Add the milk, half the cheese and the parsley (if using). Season with some pepper.

4. Drain the pasta, then return it to the saucepan. Add the egg mixture and heat gently for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture cooks and thickens. Serve, sprinkled with the remaining cheese.

Tips:

1. For a vegetarian version, omit the bacon.

2. Check the pack instructions for cooking the pasta, as some quick-cook varieties are done in just 3-5 minutes.

3. Try adding 75g thawed frozen peas, stirring them in just after adding the egg mixture to the pasta.

judithj
Location: Have you ever thought what it's like, to be wanderers in the fourth dimension?

Re: This week's recipe/self service checkouts

Postby judithj » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:21 pm

I don't use them very often because they go wrong very easily. Also, if I'm getting more than a couple of items, i carry them in 2 bags so that the weight is balanced and I'm not hurting my elbows too much. The system isn't set up to allow you to do this: if you try putting stuff in another bag, even if everything is still on the scale, the alarm goes off, hugs xxx

aflatonmond

Postby aflatonmond » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:51 am

Hey judithj..
I want to know what kind of kitchen scale you have in your kitchen.. What is the capacity and the brand name..?
I am looking forward for your replay to get some good information about the kitchen scale..
Make your step prove yourself..

judithj
Location: Have you ever thought what it's like, to be wanderers in the fourth dimension?

Postby judithj » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:50 pm

i was referring to self-service checkouts xxx

ooby

Postby ooby » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:04 pm

It's a spammer pretending to be a genuine poster. Profile has link for site selling different types of scales.

judithj

Postby judithj » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:45 am

Ah, thanks, ooby xxx

bellasorella

Postby bellasorella » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:10 pm

Just came across your recipe it sounds yummy.
Also self service tills are a nightmare I always need staff to come over & sort something out which kind of makes self service tills pointless.
Look to the future

sharoneiri

Postby sharoneiri » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:36 pm

The recipe sounds good,I might try it. I am usually ok with the self service checkouts but I remember I made a right mess of using them when I was very unwell.The assistant came and put all my items through for me.

Return to “The Kitchen”